GO!

What kind of dog is my puppy?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Otto

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 2:09pm PST 
Hi - we adopted our 6 month old puppy from SF SPCA in June. He's the best! People we meet have all kinds of conjectures about what type of mix he is. The SF SPCA guessed he was an Australian Cattle Dog/Lab mix, but a lot of people we meet think he's part Pointer or German Shorthaired Pointer (anecdotally, his bark is very similar to a GSP we encountered one day in Healdsburg), and I've noticed some similarities to Border Collies in the dog park as well, despite the fact that he has short hair.

He's 42 lbs and 6 months old. He's very intelligent and agile, fairly energetic (though he sleeps a lot... but he's a puppy) and extremely affectionate. He doesn't nip at our heels the way I understand true herding dogs do. He's decent at fetch, and loves balls. He doesn't swim yet, though he will splash around in the water. He has webbed paws, and the hair on his tail is a bit longer than the rest of his coat. His tail curls when it's upright.

We were going to order a doggie DNA test, but we read that they aren't very accurate. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with those.

Any thoughts? Would any other information be helpful in analyzing?

Thanks so much!
[notify]
Giuseppeino- (Peppi)

Master Squirrel- Hunter

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 3:16pm PST 
Congrats on the new pup! wishespartypartyway to go
I am thinking he is part Border Collie Pointer Mix. thinking
He can also have some Australian cattle dog in him. thinking
i hoped this helped a little! wave
[notify]
Giuseppeino- (Peppi)

Master Squirrel- Hunter

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 3:19pm PST 
wave Hi again! I have once met someone with a little chihuahua mix an I asked him what kind of dog is he. The owner responded I think terrier chihuahua, but according to the DNA test i bought it says Bernese Mountain Dog and Poodle. thinking
So, If i were you I wouldn't waste the money!
Hoped this helped!
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:17pm PST 
Looks like an ACD/border collie mix. It's a common cross around here and most end up looking like your guy. usually bred for farm/ranch work. He's a cutie!
[notify]
Josie

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:16am PST 
He def. looks like he has Border collie in him. He also looks like he has some ACD.

Not all border mixes nip at peoples heels, Josie (BC/jack russel/greyhound) never nipped at anybody's heels, she also slept a lot while she was young but would have bursts of crazy energy. Also, BC's come in a shorter haired variety..they are mostly used for working farms as a shorter coat is easier to care for.

He is a handsome boy, have fun with him...BC mixes are great and love to "work" for their people.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:49am PST 
I definitely see where you could get the GSP from ... I've worked with them and see that in your dog, not ACD - despite them being more similar sizes.

It's hard to tell what mixes are because there aren't usually only two breeds present, though thats what we like to assume.

DNA tests are a waste of money at this point. Wait a few years until the technology improves.
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:08am PST 
I think he looks like ACD and BC...

Dexter is a short haired BC puppy

Otto has markings similar to a GSP but don't waste money on a DNA test unless you really want it. Besides, it's nice to keep people guessing puppy

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 8:09am PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 6:05pm PST 
His primary breed is German Shorthaired or Wirehaired Pointer. He may have BC or ACD in there, but it's not what I see when I look at all his photos.

GSP males, can be 55-70 pounds full grown. As Otto is only 6 months he will easily make that range.
[notify]