GO!

80 lb staffordshire terrier?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:09pm PST 
I have met two different people with two different dogs and both said they had staffies. But, the dogs were HUGE! One was over 80 lbs and one looked like a great dane mix.

So, my question is do people with pit bull and pit bull mixes say they have staffordshire mixes to avoid admitting they have a pit mix? Is the new PC term for Pit bull?

I was to understand that APBTs were medium sized dogs, and that staffies were smaller then APBTs- was I wrong?
[notify]
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:26pm PST 
No, you weren't wrong. APBTs and Staffies should be medium sized dogs when bred properly - though their weight range IS broad compared to other breeds... But there are a lot of weird mixes being sold as both of those breeds.

And since Staffies fall into the 'pit bull' category, using that name (correctly or not) isn't going to make much of a difference.

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 8:27pm PST

[notify]
Charley - R.I.P my- Handsome boy

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:43am PST 
The English staffordshire is the smaller one. Usually around 35-40 lbs. The American staffordshire is larger. Charley's mom an American and she was a good 90 lbs if not more.

The pit bull comes in 5 breeds
American staffordshire
English staffordshire
American Pit Bull
Bull Terrior
can't remember the 5th. Mastiff keeps poppping in my head.

Any of the above bred together will be consider a pitbull. A pit bull mix is a pit bred with a totaly different breed, ex. rottie,lab,boxer or whatever.

Edited by author Thu Sep 13, '12 11:49am PST

[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 6:58am PST 
The "English" Staffordshire is called a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the US. They are ADBA APBT sized weight wise, just shorter. UKC and AKC Staffies are generally much larger than ADBA ones; I've seen 80 pound (and larger) UKC/AKC dogs that meet conformation standards. I've also seen 70 pound throw-backs on ADBA lines (where a 55 # male is considered huge) that meet conformation standards.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 1:50pm PST 
As far as I know...there are no bullies save for the odd and incredibly obese that top out much over 60lbs. When you see a news report about a 100lb "pit bull" somebody is using journalism shorthand for huge scaryass dawg.
Staffordshires are actually pretty compact. American Staffordshires are slightly bigger, longer legged.
[notify]
Charley - R.I.P my- Handsome boy

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 11:51am PST 
Charleys mom was an American Staffordshire and his dad was an American red nose. Charley, at his best when he was in good shape was 89 lbs. Not fat, just very muscular. His dad was 100+ lbs.
[notify]