GO!

High Drive Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 5:54pm PST 
Hello! I'm posting here on behalf of my friend.

Right now, she has a lovely Dal/Chow mix, but she's looking to add to the family.

Her dog is dog-friendly, but he prefers dogs who aren't going to jump around all over him during play.

My friend is looking for high-drive dogs because she would like to get involved in dog sports. She wants to do Schutzhund and Agility, and I'll probably convince her to go into Obedience as well. She's also EXTREMELY active, hikes often, and basically spends almost all of her time doing things outside.

She wants a herding breed mostly, but I feel as though a Terrier or a gun dog would be an awesome fit for her as well. She's VERY interested in Brittany Spaniels, but she's a little bit worried about if the Brittany would be too much for her Dal/Chow.

Basically, her requirements are:
Drivey
Not overly-excited dog-play
Velcro dog
And, of course, capable of keeping up with her active days.

EDIT;;
She says another requirement is a medium-small dog, and she would also like a dog that could really dabble in every sport, not just the aforementioned ones. She's also got a lot of off-leash areas to take her dogs to play.

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '12 6:14pm PST

[notify]
Niki

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 6:59pm PST 
Australian Shepherd! There's a couple posts below this one where I describe them more in detail .. but they would be an awesome (or auss-ome, as we call it) fit for what you described.

My Aussie has a lot of energy and is young, but has never bothered my grumpy senior Chow. For how much he loves to play with other dogs, its amazing that he's able to read that she doesn't want to play and never bothers her.

My neighbor has a Brittany, who also has a ton of energy. Despite a lot more constant training (since puppyhood), she still doesn't listen as well as my Aussie (who I got after he was a 1.5 years old). I really don't think I could keep up with that dog - but give me a young, driven herding breed any day and I'd be happy!

Let me know if you have any questions about Aussies and I'd be happy to try my best to help. It's absolutely crucial that your friend get her dog from a reputable breeder or rescue - or all that research about this breed (or any other) goes out the window. I can help put you in touch with links for breeders or rescues if you need them.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:11pm PST 
Niki, that is so funny, because she was actually seriously considering an Aussie, too! The three main breeds she's interested in are Brittany Spaniels, Pyrenean Shepherds, and Australian Shepherds. She decided against PyrSheps because of the pretty frequent inbreeding, though. It sounds like Aussies are probably her breed!
[notify]

Niki

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:21pm PST 
Happy to hear that! Pyrenean Shepherds are a really neat breed - but they are very uncommon around here at least. I've seen a few the dog show, but thats it.

Every thing I've read about Brittanys make them sound great, but all the ones I've known in person have been off the wall until they are at least middle aged. And Aussies are prettier ..... (oops - did I say that silenced laugh out loud )
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 9:43pm PST 
What about a Groenendael? I personally love these dogs and they have the drive and energy to be successful in many dog sports. Drivey, Biddable, Medium sized, Velcro, Lovely dogs.

Aussies might fit too but I have never seen them do Schutzhund.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 11:31pm PST 
Haha, Niki! That's hilarious! XD I, personally, like Brittany Spaniels, but I think that Aussies are gorgeous, too! (but Akitas trump both of them! XD)

Maggie, you have no idea how happy I would be if she got a Groenendael. But I think finding a breeder would be pretty difficult. Still, I'll definitely pass on your suggestion!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 3:29am PST 
A kelpie would make the grade, if she could find a stud that will sell to a non working home. They have the drive if not the size for schutzhund. Perfect herding and agility dogs, and I've seen a few kill it on the OB field. They bond very strongly to their owners too. There are a few breeders in the states with very good Australian working lines, it might be worth looking into.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 5:48am PST 
An Australian cattle dog (blue heeler, red heeler; they're all the same breed) or Aussie would be a good match for your friend. Both the aussie and australian cattle dog are high driven, bond with their owners and are incredibly smart. My mom has two blue heelers and they do well in agility trials.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 6:48am PST 
An airedale might fit high drive,can do schutzhund and just about anything else she wants to try but she would have to learn to handle their sense of humour. I'm sure an australian shepherd could do as well I know here there's plenty in working trials and at the top level there's bitework involved but not quite the same as schutzhund.

One of the softer belgians or even a show line malinois? I know a show line breeder who has dogs she's bred working in obedience, agility tracking everything. Some are even working army dogs.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:08am PST 
What about a German Shorthaired Pointer?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5