GO!

Breed suggestions

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buster

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 1:52pm PST 
I know I've done this before red face but what do you guys think would suit? Bear in mind I'm in the UK so I might not have all the breeds available that are in the US.

Size- I'm not bothered, I don't know if I would like a very tiny toy dog though and I don't think a really giant dog would be that good with the different sports no matter how much I love wolfhounds.

Shedding- Preferably low shedding but at the least not something very heavy shedding like a gsd.

Exercise requirements- My dog at the minute gets around an hour and a half to two hours walk a day along with training and the dog would be going to agility classes as well probably.

Training- I prefer dogs that are a bit more stubborn and have the what's in it for me mentality but probably could not handle something like an akita no matter how beautiful.

I clicker train that's not to say I'm never going to say no to a dog or not put rules in place of course.

Children- I don't have any but it's likely within the lifespan of the dog. Obviously this is mostly down to training but a more child tolerant breed would be good.

Other pets- Not really an issue my rabbit can be kept separate if need be and anyway he's more likely to beat up the dog that the other way around laugh out loud

I would like a dog to have a go at different sports with, probably not to the top level they would be seriously hampered by the handler, but at least capable of different things.
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 4:35pm PST 
There are many breeds that come to mind when I look at your needs....I am currently dog sitting for my neighbor who recently came over from the UK..she has a patterdale terrier named Jake and he is the best dog. He is very active and loves to learn, he is much easier to train then my doxies but not as willing to please as my golden. In my opinion Jake has the the perfect amount of independence. He is not as crazy as other terriers (like jack russels) but loves to run around and chase things. Jake comes to my house when Im watching him and hes great with my dogs and cats, he chases the cats if they run but since they will fight back if he tries to do anything, Jake will back down. They are a smaller size (jake is about 12 lbs) but they are very sturdy. I have recently started doing agility and coursing with Jake and he loves it, although sometimes in practice he makes up his own agility courses..he seems to know the difference between practice and a competition. Jake is very low shed, he's very low maintenance when it comes to grooming...his owner brushes him once every two weeks and I hand strip him once a year although he doesn't really need it (I do mostly around his face to give him a more put together look). Jake is good with kids, he was raised around younger and older kids. I know that other people will have lots of great suggestions but I read your post and Jake's laying next to me so his breed popped into my mind!
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 5:31pm PST 
From what I know of patterdales they're pretty awesome little dogs, some of the top medium agility dogs are patterdales, but they're mostly bred as working terriers still and can be very intense.

Edited by author Fri Aug 31, '12 5:32pm PST

[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 5:36pm PST 
What about a Working Cocker? I know some can be pretty intense and full of energy, but with the right research into decent breeders i'm sure you could find one that wouldn't be too OTT. I know they do well in agility, but they're not exactly going to be bouncing off the walls without a job to do as long as they're exercised well daily.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 6:06pm PST 
I do know a very good breeder of working cockers and labradors and they have had dogs go on to be active family pets and like you say they make amazing agility dogs. I like doing tracking and nosework and the happiest cocker I ever saw was a police dog that was doing detection work one time, its whole body was wagging, so they might be a possibility.
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 7:39pm PST 
How about a Boxer? They are large dogs but usually only weigh around 65-70 pounds. Boxers are average shedders. They are active breeds of dogs and do need a lot of exercise, they are usually very jumpy in activity level when puppies. Boxers are intelligent dogs. They are usually great with children and can be trained to get along with other animals such as small animals. Boxers are great dogs to have.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 8:48am PST 
My main concern with boxers is the long list of health problems associated with them frown especially their hearts. But otherwise they are pretty awesome dogs.
[notify]
Cookie Pela

Leaping Is My- Specialty!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 11:40am PST 
Could back up the Cocker idea...Ours is from a rescue, and was a tense little thing at first, but really just bloomed when I gave her a chance to get enough exercise.

She is a very field type - I could easily see her being trained to any sort of physical activity. I am working on her for dock diving. She loves to fetch from water.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 8:31am PST 
I was looking at american cockers not really the english type so I'll need to have more of a look at them.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 10:30am PST 
Standard Poodle or a Mini. Super smart (freakishly smart), trainable, very kid friendly, one of the best breeds for their adaptability to any activity.

Poodles like to try and out wit you...Sonja can turn into a mule if she doesn't want to do something...like be on a leash while I exercise her on the bike...not happening! Jasper loves it...Sonja sits and become a 60's protester / mule who won't budge. laugh out loud

If you keep their coat short...I believe its pretty easy care. Males tend to be on the goofy side from my experience...but just as smart.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2