GO!

Maybe have to rehome Angel...:(

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 5:16pm PST 
So, my fiance and I's plans have back fired instead of moving into a house like we wanted. We are stuck renting another place, which does not allow pets. We are already sneaking in Stinkers and Nevah. Sylvester and Emmy are going with my father. My father originally wanted to take Angel, but his landlord will not allow him to.

So we are stuck in a rutt, and I am so torn up over the thought of this. She could come with if we made her strictly an outside dog chained to a dog house. To me that is no life for a dog though. If I do have to rehome her, what are steps I can take to ensure that she will go to a good home.

Has anyone else had to go through this, what did you did in this situation? Any advice or thoughtful words would be appreciated.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 5:27pm PST 
Have you signed the lease yet?
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 5:58pm PST 
Yes, we have our move in date is th 13th of Sept.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 6:02pm PST 
I would try to find a place that allows Angel. Have you tried getting Angel CGC certified? Sometimes that piece of paper helps when finding a place that will allow dogs or make an exception. Good Luck!
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 6:33pm PST 
With such short notice, and financial status we cannot afford a pet friendly place...due to all the damage deposits they want. Also, its hard to as she is a pit/rott mix, making it more harder. The only way we could keep her is if we made her a strictly outdoor dog, and chain her up to a dog house...which is no life for a dog.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:27pm PST 
Oh what a nightmare! Is there anybody else who could take her for the interim besides your dad?? Mom? His side of the family? frown How long is the lease for?
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:31pm PST 
Well I don't know what advice to offer that will actually help at this post.

Outdoors should not be an option ... like you said, it wouldn't be fair. Your move-in date is fast approaching, so start looking right away. Ask everyone you know and trust who are good pet owners.

I think the temporary boarding scenario works fine with family members or close friends. But I dislike reading Craigslist Ads asking for basically free pet-sitting for the next 6 months.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:47pm PST 
Could you negotiate putting her in a crate/kennel and leaving her in the laundry room / bathroom? Once the landlord has agreed to it, sneak her into bed for some cuddling. shh

Okay but really, If you guys could setup a dog run outside, it wouldn't be all that bad. Outside dogs can still have perfect functional lives, it'll just require you to get some more fresh air, although I understand that is not the most desirable thing to do.. It could buy you time until you can find a pet friendly place and you'll still have your pup.. It's not like you're leaving her in the backyard without shelter/food/water.. You could still walk her, train her, take her to the lake and stuff.

Goodluck with whatever you guys decide to do. hug There is no easy decision.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 8:26pm PST 
I have only ever lived in outdoor only leases with my dog and really it isn't so bad. He does sleep in the laundry and I do sneak him in for cuddles quite a bit, just keep the house spotless and deodorized. No landlord or estate agent has ever realized, they commend me for keeping to the lease! If you could build a run it really might not be as bad as it sounds. I would make my dog an outdoor one before I ever gave him up, even if I had to have him on tie out. And like other posters say, this could just be a stepping stone for you while you look for better accommodation, save up a damage deposit, and get her a CGC. Whether it takes 6 months or over a year it's worth it to have your doggy!
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 8:32pm PST 
I agree with Nare, outdoor dogs can lead decent lives with the proper setup. An overhead cable could give her some space to move around, if you can't put up fencing. Yeah, it will be hard for her to transition to sleeping outside if she's always been an indoor dog, but I think that would be better than giving her away to a stranger (assuming no friends or family will help out.)

BTW, I did try to give Bruno away once, the first year I had him (long story). I didn't have any luck with it- the first person to answer my ad seemed nice and very capable, I even checked out her house, but then she backed out, saying she couldn't afford another dog after all. Every other response seemed super flaky, or hadn't seemed to have actually read the details of my ad (what part of "NO CATS OR LIVESTOCK" is hard to understand?). Maybe you would have better luck though, since Angel doesn't have any behavior issues (that I'm aware of.)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2