GO!

Good apartment dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 7:03pm PST 
In a year, my boyfriend and I will be moving into a dog friendly place. I don't want to rush into getting one so I want to research.

What are some good breeds for:
Friendly with other pets-i.e cats-ideally one that won't eat the cat turds

Quiet

No more the 150pounds

Low maintenance for a working household. 1full time worker and one part time worker, part time student

Good with children-I live in an area with loads of kids and most of my friends have them

I know some(most) of these have to do with training but I also know some breeds have these traits more so then others.
dog
Thank you for the help
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 7:07pm PST 
I recently ran into a pug/jack Russel mix and he was the sweetest dog. He was very friendly and calm. And very adorable!

I also know russels are HYPER. I had one in my youth and Rosie, until she was a little old lady, would run circles around everyone.

So, are the pug/russel mix typically calm?
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 7:15pm PST 
With mixes of two different breeds, there is no such thing as "typical." You can get any combination of traits from whatever breeds are involved, and I would never bet on a Jack Russell mix being "calm" or "laid back" or anything other than high energy and extremely "busy" unless you are adopting an adult whose personality is known.

Pugs make great apartment dogs. So do greyhounds, and other sighthounds, though it's good to have someplace they can safely run once or twice a week. Ah, I see I missed the "good with cats"--that's not a good bet with sighthounds, except Italian Greyhounds, who are little themselves.

Chinese Cresteds are notoriously good with cats, and if you get a powderpuff and keep him in a puppy cut or terrier cut, the maintenance is not bad.

I'm sure other suggestions will come in soon.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 2:34pm PST 
Well according to me the a good apartment size for dog should be at least twice his size...
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 6:16pm PST 
is "150 lbs" a typo? 'Cuz it's hard to find a dog that isn't under that... smile I'm guessing you either meant 15 lbs or 50 lbs.

More thoughts... eating cat turds is entirely a management issue. Nothing to do with temperament or how well they get along with other pets. I don't think I've met a dog that would pass up "Kitty Roca". silenced You just have to ensure the dog doesn't have access to the box.

Most of the common pet breeds are popular for a reason- they're usually not difficult dogs for average owners. So i'd suggest looking around you for what breeds other people living your kind of lifestyle are happy with. (And then go research the heck out of them, so you know if their experience is typical or a fluke.)

My thought is, if you like the look of Pug crosses you might want to look for ones crossed with more mellow breeds than the JRT. I have no idea what a typical temperament for a "Jug" (as some call this mix) is. Probably varies, and you could end up with a pretty active dog.

A Boston Terrier might also fit- they're pretty good companion dogs, with a similar look to a Pug, and little bit of Terrier spunk (but not as much as the JRT, after all, a Boston is a gentleman.)

Edited by author Mon Aug 27, '12 6:28pm PST

[notify]
Tuvok

Toovy Doovy Doo- Ready and- Willing!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:22am PST 
Boston terriers were developed to be the perfect urban dog. They do well in apartments, enjoy children and can be easily exercised indoors with a game of fetch or outside with a walk.

These dogs do not have an undercoat so don't shed much but need a sweater during winter walks.
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:20pm PST 
How about a Puggle? They're usually friendly with other pets. They don't bark a lot. They are small/medium breeds of dogs. They are low maintenance, they are short haired so they don't require a lot of grooming except for brushing every now and then. They are usually great with kids. They're highly intelligent and easily trainable from the one's that I have seen.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:39pm PST 
There are SO many breeds that can meet that criteria. smile

If I were you I would pick up a few breed books and see which ones naturally appeal to you. Then start really looking into those dog breeds. And try to attend an all-breed dog show, to get a better sense of the different breeds in person.

Are you looking to adopt or purchase? (Not sure if it was mentioned yet). If you want to go with a reputable breeder, don't look for a "designer" combination of breeds ... IMO they don't exist!
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:07pm PST 
A Tibetan Spaniel is good and gentle with children. They are easy care, sturdy, friendly little dogs that enjoy longevity, and social with other dogs. They are so easy to handle that many owners have more than one. In apartments, condos, or beach houses, Tibbies are happy. way to go
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:46pm PST 
Might I also add that I have a german shepherd, am currently fostering another GSD mix and my girl is great with my cats? You would, however, need to clarify for me what 'good with cats' entails as well. Very few dogs will not give chase when a cat runs, it's what they do to the cat at the end that matters most.

And there's a lot of training that can be done on that end as well. My foster boy is likely a gsd x husky mix who'd never lived with cats. At the very beginning (and even now still, sometimes, he's only been with us 2-3 weeks) he was WAY too interested in them. I blame that husky prey drive. With the help of bossy clawed cats, keeping him on leash whenever they are around and lots and lots of high value treats and work, he's learned to really ignore them most of the time.

It does help he's a very smart boy. We can stop him now with a verbal command as he's en route to investigate a kitty on the move, and he's allowed off leash about the house supervised. Anytime he's too interested in them I break out the hot dogs and we work and train. He'll do anything for hot dogs. laugh out loud I would argue it would still be a long time before I'd trust him completely, and I'd never leave even my girl alone and unsupervised with them for extended periods of time. But it's very doable.

So my point is you have to further define 'good with cats'. I'd say my girl is VERY good with cats, but she doesn't snuggle them or play with them. She simply gives them all the space they need, and never tries to bull or boss them. It is funny to see the 65 lb gsd back away from the 20 lb kitty. big laugh

Also, as for the kitty turd eating thing- my girl's never had one. But we hacked Ikea cabinets and hide the litterboxes inside that. Keeps the stink to a minimum, gives the kitties privacy, and very conveniently never allows the dogs (since they are big!) to get into kitty litter and have a nice snack of kitty roca, as Bruno called it. So like she said- a management thing.

Also, since somebody hasn't brought it up yet- apartment dog is very loosely defined, tbh. I could quite easily keep my girl in an apartment, since we walk every day. So could my foster boy. They're very mellow indoors. Now it's not always typical of GSDs! But it proves that it can be done. There are many breeds that are like that, that can be good in a smaller space as long as they have their exercise needs met.

So perhaps a better question is what are you willing to put into the dog in terms of that? Are you a runner? A hiker? Or is a trip around the block enough?

I would prefer to learn more about size preferences from you too. Great Danes, for example, can be wonderful apartment dogs. So can pugs, and tibetan spaniels, and many of the other popular toy breeds. Is there a type you've always leaned to? A personality you've always preferred? Do you like the look of long haired/coated dogs vs short haired?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3