GO!

Choosing the right breed for a friend...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 8:19pm PST 
Lucille- my apologies, you're right. It's easy to generalize when it differs depending on which part of the country you're in. Unfortunately, here in the southwest the problem is rampant. A surf onto any random shelter will throw up a whole host of pups, and not long ago at all the rescue I got Miyu from had a whole litter of 7? 8? Pups that had to be homed.

I think going to the dog park and taking a look is a good idea. I also think knowing a bit more is important as well. Ask her what she'd like to put in in terms of grooming, walking, etc. Even ask about her limits with how vocal the animal is. One of my cats drives me BATTY sometimes because he's so damn talky. I vowed my next cat would be next to mute. Little things like that all matter.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 9:35pm PST 
Miyu- interesting. Bruno is also from a public animal shelter in Arizona (PACC, in Tucson). They do have often have puppies, though small breeds seemed rare-ish. Most of their dogs are pit-type, herding breed, or general pariah-type mixes, generally medium sized. Desert survivors. smile I look at PACC's listing all the time, they have so many beauties I would love to own- I really love that kind of dog. (Obviously, as I did get one. big grin )

End of off-topic post...
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 2:53pm PST 
How about a Pug? They're intelligent and easy to train. They don't require a lot of exercise but still need to be exercised on a daily basis. They're small breeds of dogs, weighing around 10-18 pounds. They make great companion dogs, very lovable and loyal. They are good watchdogs but are not barkers. They are happy go lucky type of dogs with a goofy personality that'll make you smile. They're usually good with other dogs and love children.
[notify]

Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 8:41pm PST 
Bruno- that's right, I remember you said you got him down there! smile You are also spot on on the types. I see a lot of pit-mix pups, shepherd mix pups, just like you said, mutts that roam the streets and survived. Not many small dog pups, not that I can think of. And again the term 'pup' is fairly loose too, it's not uncommon for teens a year or under or just over to pop up at the GSD rescue because of that wonderful chainsaw and defiant period these guys go through...

Kityra, any feedback from your friend yet?
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:37am PST 
Sorry about the lack of feedback, guys- there's just not much to update, so I haven't responded. red face
She looked over some info pages on both papillons and pugs. She read our thread as well. We went around to the dog park and watched the small dog area play during an afternoon. There were some chis, an american eskimo, a papillon, some terrier mixes, and two shiba inus.
The vibe I got is that she's still going to spend more time researching/pondering before making anything close to a final decision, since she's in no hurry making this kind of commitment. For sure it will happen, but for now just more research and perhaps making more trips to the dog park.

Thanks for your replies, guys. smile

Edited by author Tue Aug 28, '12 1:45am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:15am PST 
I applaud the fact that your friend is doing her own research and carefully considering her choices/options,so many people don't then blame the dog or the breed when things don't work out. If more people took the time to carefully consider which breed fits their lifestyle,situation,and abilities before bringing a pet home,I feel that far fewer would end up in rescues,shelters,and euthanized. Bravo for your friend.applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:23am PST 
Good for your friend to keep researching. Encourage her to keep an open mind and visit a couple shelters in your area with a list of what she wants in a dog. And then to be patient and wait for the right match to come in.

Where I live, there it is extremely difficult to find local rescue puppies. Most puppies are from the south - and adoption fees are $475 (and these places are nonprofit). So adopting a pup is not a cheap or easy endeavor .... combined with the fact that these puppies haven't had the best start in life, which may require more training and stability.

When it comes to rescue, I would rather adopt a young adult or adult dog over a puppy. IMO, you have a better shot of owning the dog you want when its established, than trying to mold a pup. Just something to consider.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 8:38am PST 
My first thought would be a cat or two actually. Two young kitties who need a home and can pretty much be alone and keep to themselves then be great companions when your friend is home...a full food dish and clean litter box and they don't ask for much. That being said, maybe you could do the research and find a few nice housebroken grown doggies for your friend to meet and go with her. Turn it into an afternoon outing, good luck!!!little angel
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2