GO!

WL GSDs / DDR (Mulder?)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 3:16pm PST 
Frankly I'd go first to where my club suggests I look. They've seen my dog. They've seen my handling. It's no fun to have someone way over their head in training since it's usually fixing an issue rather than training so I'd take your TD's advice seriously. I think you can certainly get what you want from Jean and you have the advantage of living nearby so she can troubleshoot issues with you in person if required. She also produces some nice all-around dogs. You're likely never going to go to WUSV but really that's not a dog you're going to be ready for anyway. Being honest about your handling skills is going to be critical. Know your strengths and weaknesses as a handler. Weaknesses are probably the big one to be especially open about.

Brokers are such a crapshoot especially if you don't know what you're doing. Avoid avoid avoid.

Kaiser actually put up the list of where I'd look, personally. I have no interesting in importing myself but Bill Kulla would be top 3 of people I'd go to if I was looking for a serious sport dog. Staatsmacht is top 5 but may be more dog that I can handle. I would love a Terror pup though. Maybe one day.

Also Ringsport training favors the smaller, leaner dogs. DDR dogs tend to be larger and heavier making the palisades and broad jumps especially taxing. There are some lines (mostly French Coquellerie comes to mind) bred for ringsport but they're difficult to find in North America. There's a man in Colorado who has a lovely male but he's pretty rigid about who he sells to..
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 8:53pm PST 

Frankly I'd go first to where my club suggests I look. They've seen my dog. They've seen my handling. It's no fun to have someone way over their head in training since it's usually fixing an issue rather than training so I'd take your TD's advice seriously.

I'd like to agree with this as well. An objective outside eye is so, so important, especially for people who aren't 100% certain about what they want.

Jean has some serious dogs, and can produce serious prospects. But for someone who's looking for a nice dog to move around in several venues with, she's perfect for that. That's one thing I really like about her- she values everything her dogs do, whether it be K9 or therapy work. When I fist started talking to her, and mentioned some of the things I'd like to do, she was quick to mention that protection work isn't ALL that these dogs are; that they are so versatile, and so capable. Throw the dart and see where it lands on the board, and these dogs can do it.

And to me, that's important. I think many in the breed are so caught up in bitesport and titles, that they forget what these dogs were meant to be. The perfect litter produces everything- from guide dogs to dope dogs to border patrol dogs to great family pets. I've defended that belief in the past and still do to this day. Others may say that's impossible, but I continue to maintain otherwise, and will until the day no good Shepherd are being bred.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 6:52pm PST 
Hi Mulder! thank you for swinging by. smile

Thanks for the tidbit about the freedom thing.. I felt like when Nare was a pup, I didn't let him have enough freedom and was thinking I would allow more with the pup (he was either on leash or he wasn't-- We've been working a lot more on off-leash and longline walks lately, and this, actually, has made him want to be closer to me! It also might be him growing out of the butthead stage, but I feel like since he wasn't allowed so much freedom, everything out of his reach was just so much more exciting than me and now with his new access to things, they're losing their appeal!

I feel as though Nare is similar to Mulder, with that being said, how do Mulder and Ridley get along? They're both males, so any problems? I've always read that SSA is popular in GSDs, so adding another has me a bit hesitant, but I'm also hoping that genetics play a big part. And from all that I've heard of Jean, there shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Zephyr, thank you for that.
I feel like I'm great handling other peoples dogs, but when I handle Nare I feel self conscious of my handling, it's a work in progress. :U

I think I will be cutting Jean an e-mail soon about the potential of a pup.. Thank you all! hug

Importing a dog is very much in my future, but right now I feel like with the closeness of Jean, and my newness to dogs (Nare is my first), the additional support is vital. But thanks again. ^^
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 9:30pm PST 
SSA is not, else should not be, overly prevalent in GSDs. I've ranted over this in the past, and while there is something there in SOME dogs, it appears much more common in females than in the males.

So far, so good with my two. I was very careful when selecting Ridley, talked to Jean about housing two males (one of which will remain intact), and selecting a pup that will allow the combination to work. Mulder is totally dog social, so I'm not so much worried about him... Ridley isn't fully mature yet, so we'll see, but so far all I've seen from him is an absolute love for Mulder. He follows him around like the typical kid brother, gets on his nerves, but very affectionate. He tries so hard to be close to him, but poor Mulder just doesn't do clingy. And when Mulder finally gets angry enough to correct him, Ridley seems to respect the correction.

I have high hopes for the combination working out!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2