GO!

czechoslovakian wolfdog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 1:28pm PST 
Ok i am very confused about dogs like this: are they an actual dog breed? Or are they mixed with a wolf? They look soo much like wolves.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 1:44pm PST 
yes Czechoslovakian Vlcaks are a purebred breed of dog with closed stud books. They were developed in military kennels from the 1950s, and have been recognized as a national breed of the former CSSR for 30 years, and in AKC FSS for about ten years now.

Edited by author Wed Aug 15, '12 1:57pm PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 11:51pm PST 
The breed dates back to the mid 1950s. The foundation canines were Working GSD ( a very drivey GSD variety) and the Carpathian Wolf.

So the answer is yes and yes.....
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 11:53pm PST 
The breed dates back to the mid 1950s. The foundation canines were Working GSD ( a very drivey GSD variety) and the Carpathian Wolf.

So the answer is yes and yes.....
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 2:11am PST 
Yeah, they are technically dogs, they're just closer to their wolf ancestors than any other breed of dog...

To be honest, they are far too 'Wolfy' in my eyes to be classed as a dog.

Here, in The UK, you need a licence to keep one... And they howl, by Dog do they howl... My old neighbours had two. They were so beautiful but such a handful puppy
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:21am PST 
No, in the UK you don't need a license to keep one, and haven't needed one for many years now (circa 2007). DEFRA clarified on the position of the dogs. There is now even a breed club in the UK seeking KC affiliation. But the problem in the UK is that there are many that are mixes being passed off at purebred dogs. There are very few people in the UK with 2 purebred CsVs, let alone 1.

All of the so-called breeders of CsV in the UK currently have all at one point or the other, or still currently, been mixed breeders with some purebred litters interspersed. Not a good situation in the UK.

Edited by author Thu Aug 16, '12 7:29am PST

[notify]
Buster

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 3:31pm PST 
In the UK you need a licence to own anything F3 and above czechoslovakian wolfdogs don't fall under that (there was a whole debate about this on an exotics forum I go on someone was convinced they had bought an actual wolfdog not what is essentially a domestic dog with a little bit of wolf a few decades back).

They're such beautiful dogs

Edited by author Thu Aug 16, '12 3:32pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 2:29am PST 
From what I understand, they aren't wolfy in temperament, only in appearance (and to me they still look doggier than even a low content true wolfdog.) For one, they can herd. laugh out loud I would love to meet one, sadly they are not bred in Australia.

I always thought of them as very drivey, confidant GSDs with an exotic look. Real wolfdogs are often quite timid and not at all similar. Quite like chalk and cheese.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:35am PST 
temperamentally they are quite different than GSDs, but it is quite a popular assumption, which is a little to the detriment of the breed (when people get them expecting them to look like alt-colored GSDs).

they retain characteristics of their ancestors, including quite a complex social system with many ritualistic expressions. IMHO higher instances of SSA and dog selectivity upon maturity. in general they are healthier and live longer than GSDs, reaching 13-14 years is quite the norm. they are far more independent than GSDs, don't train as easily, and in things like SchH typically don't do very well as the point of the exercise is lost on them. guarding property is not their priority but they can do rather well in defense drive. unlike GSDs they also are not very vocal at all.

from GSDs they gain obvious 'doggy' qualities like friendliness towards people and feel at ease in new situations. although many unfortunately are quite shy and skittish when people breed without concentration on temperament. as well trained adults they are obedient but not without purpose.. training must be strictly purposeful, in sporting rings they seem to just be doing things as it pleases them. around the world i've seen them in frisbee rings, agility, lure coursing, IPO, obedience, rally-o, herding, tracking, and non sporting things like water rescue, SAR, mushing, but they always seem to keep their secret humor and do it as they enjoy, not necessarily to please anyone but themselves.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 12:01pm PST 
My bad, I thought you did need a licence but it appears I'm wrong.

There are a few breeders over here but only one I would actually go to... People seem to be breeding them with all sorts, timberwolfs, Gsd's e.t.c...

They are not a KC accredited breed as yet, but to be honest, that doesn't matter one bit to me... Turns out JRT's aren't either! I only just found that out a couple of weeks ago lol.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2