GO!

Good low energy breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 2:17pm PST 
I think Greyhound would depend on how young the children aresmile Our nearest Greyhound rescue will not place them with children under 5.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 6:46pm PST 
You want a middle aged Bassett hound
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 9:02pm PST 
Basset Hound or Cavalier King Charles Spaniel way to go And I agree with getting an older dog (2+ years old). cloud 9 way to go
[notify]

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 8:51am PST 
I have some personal experiences with a few ode breeds as well. I'm just going to throw what I know out there...

1. Corgi: No. My brother has one that I call an alligator. He is totally out of control. He nips, chases, destroys, and even is scetchy with adults. Great breed if you put in time to train and exercise. 45 mins won't cut it.

2. Bassett hound: This one is iffy. And here is why, while, yes, they have a reputation for being lazy, they also aren't always great with kids. My dad recently had to put down his 12 year old bassett nick-named "Snippy B****" because she would bite kids who messed with her too much. Also, young ones are quite rambunctious. They don't come lazy. I suggest talking to a Bassett rescue that can place you with one that has proven to have a stable temperament. Otherwise, they are awesome dogs and 45 mins may prove too much of a walk! Haha. laugh out loud

3. Greyhounds: YES! These guys have a reputation of being outrageously calm and great with kids--just show caution with small pets. I've worked with a few (volunteered with a greyhound rescue) and they are sweet dogs!

4. Pugs: Who doesn't love these silly fellows. Not only are they great with kids, but they're funny at home without a huge need for outdoor exercise.

5. French Bulldogs: since no one has mentioned them yet, they fall under "pug" category. Adorable to boot and sweet as pie. Funny little dudes. Check for good breeding (as with ALL dogs).

6. Shelties: erm... I don't think this is the best decision based on your requirement.

7. Mastiff? While they are "calm" they are also huge, and still need higher exercise than you're willing to provide, IMHO.

8. If you're into the big guys, you may want to consider an Irish Wolfhound. I've met a couple and my husband is in love with them. They fall in the sight hound catagory of 40 MPH couch potatoes. I still think a bit more than 45 mins will be necessary for the first year or two, but they settle well.
[notify]
McTippers- Moonstruck- Zephyr RN

Mr. Z

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 2:53pm PST 
I'd say shelties. They're excellent with kids. Zephyr can vary his energy from day to day. If I feel like taking him on two walks and then a game of fetch, he'll go on two walks and play a game of fetch. If I want to veg on the couch all day, he'll be right there snoozing away. They're very smart and love to play games, but if you train them as pups they will stop when you tell them to and be perfectly content. Just make sure to socialize if you get it as a puppy. Training is also encouraged. I hear a lot of them can be opposite of what I experience if they're not trained and socialized as puppies. Mine and all the ones I have met are absolute angels, though.
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 9:41am PST 
My Boston Terrier is low energy. She is content to lay on the couch most of the time. A good 45 minute walk is plenty for her. She also likes to go out in our backyard and run around, but that is more for fun than necessity. She is absolutely amazing with my kids. They were 3, 6 and 9 when we got her (she was 8 months) and she has always been sweet and gentle with them.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3