GO!

Feeling guilty about wanting a puppy from a good breeder?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 10:48am PST 
*sigh*...I found a breeder that I really like of parti Standard Poodles. I mentioned the price to my brother in passing, and my sister overheard. Now they're both giving me a hard time about not getting a dog from the pound and saving all that money. I had felt guilty to begin with, and now they're just making me feel even more torn about my decision than I was. Is $1500 really too much to spend on a puppy that is from health and temperament tested parents and socialized from birth? Is it really too much to spend on a dog that will be my companion and emotional support, as well as my future agility partner? Would my money and time be better spent rescuing a dog, even with the possibility that my puppy may come with a lot of baggage? I just don't know. It's not like I haven't thought this through. It's not like I'm going to stop rescuing just because I have a AKC/UKC registered Poodle puppy, but still...I guess I just need some support for my decision right now, since no one in my life really understands why I want a puppy from a breeder.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 11:00am PST 
You should never feel guilty about wanting to get a puppy from a reputable breeder. You are not supporting puppy mills or BYBs this way, and it is perfectly fine to want to get a dog with guaranteed health as well as a good temperament.

I will be going with a good breeder for my next dog for several reasons. Both have to do with Okami. The most important reason is that a puppy from a good breeder that I can better get a good health and temperament from is a must because of Okami's behavioral issues. The other reason is, because of Okami, I just REALLY want to have a dog that I can trust will be both healthy and not have the same, or similar, behavioral issues that Okami does. I just want to have that piece of mind that comes with going with a reputable breeder.

If you want to get a dog from a good breeder, then I say go for it wink
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 11:18am PST 
Don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty about your decision. It is just that, YOUR decission.

I am a huge ambassador for getting dogs from shelters but that doesn't mean I think everyone should... I have both a cross breed rescue dog and a pure bred, very expensive working-lines Border Collie...

The piece of mind you get from buying from a reputable breeder, can't be priced... It's priceless puppy

Don't feel bad... If you want a specific breed for a specific reason or sport and have certain traits... A breeder is the only option.

I'm sure your puppy will be worth every penny and I want to see pictures!!! puppy

Keep smiling and trusting yourself puppy
[notify]

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 11:19am PST 
Thank you Okami. Jane has some issues as well. She's extremely skittish and possibly has hip dysplasia along with other health problems. That's a sizable part of why I want a breeder's puppy this go around. Just a little peace of mind.

And thank you Rocky. Both of your dogs are gorgeous by the way smile. I'm a big advocate for rescue as well, and plan on continuing to foster no matter what.

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '12 11:27am PST

[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 2:01pm PST 
All my dogs have been rescues, but I will be the first to say I would LOVE to have a purebred dog...my own specifically chosen breed, from a really nice breeder with healthy and temperamentally sound parents...sigh. cloud 9 The price sounds normal for a really good breeder as well, and if you can afford it there is absolutely nothing wrong with spending your money how you want to. I say it would be a really good investment, especially if you are wanting your dog for something specific. Do not let others make you feel bad if you make the decision to buy from a breeder. Do they watch how they spend every penny, do they go out to eat, buy something they do not absolutely need? Because every time you do something you could reason away as not really needing it...you could have given that money to this or that...you will just wind up feeling guilty all the time over everything you do, and that is not healthy for anyone to do. Be wise with your resources, and I think planning ahead and getting a pup from a good breeder is a wise way to get a dog. It actually takes a lot of mystery out of getting a pet, because you could also reason that shelter 'mystery' dog may end up costing a lot more than your well-researched and planned purebred pup.

Lol, kind of rambling there. Basically make your own choice, and do not allow yourself to be guilted into something you don't really want. There is nothing wrong with getting a dog from either a shelter or a good breeder.way to go
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 2:26pm PST 
Rescuing Mikey was very fulfilling knowing that I was saving a life, but within a year, I knew my next dog would be through a good breeder. I just wanted a normal dog on the next go around.
In the beginning of having Moose, I had a few twinges of guilt about not rescuing, but that's faded. I'm so happy with my choice. He's everything I've wanted and luckily I have a lot of friends and neighbors who are constantly reminding me that I deserve this.
Don't let others guilt you into making a decision that you know is not the direction you want to go.
It's your money and your life. Make yourself happy.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:02pm PST 
I know what you mean, but I have come to terms with my guilt in the regardwink Every dog I have ever had has been a rescue or re home and someday I am going to have a dog from a good breeder and enjoy every second guilt free. It must be wonderful when you get exactly what you are hoping forcloud 9 As to the money aspect, everyone has different priorities and after all, it's your money to do as you wishsmile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:35pm PST 
I struggle with this too. Plus there are rumblings about the CKC finally letting mix breeds into sports which was my "rational" for getting a breeder puppy so I'm struggling again.
[notify]
Capri

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:38pm PST 
The thing about it is it's not your responsibility to save all the pound puppies of the world. If you want to adopt that's wonderful, but you should NEVER feel guilty for not doing so. People should be getting their dogs spayed/neutered. It's the people that don't take their animals to the vet for that and the ones who get the dog and then decide they don't really want it that are to blame, in my opinion.

If you have done research on the breed, breeder, know the facts, and feel comfortable spending that amount of money go for it! It's worth whatever you are willing to spend on it. You must also keep in mind the number of years the dog will be with you. It's an investment and you might as well get what you really want.

Personally, we got our dog from a RESPONSIBLE breeder after much thought and consideration. We had to "apply" for the puppy and were on a waiting list. VERY strict guidelines were followed and many many people do not realize that and frown upon buying a purebred because of their ignorance. Now if it were a puppy mill, backyard breeder, or pet store it would be a totally different story.

P.S. We also have 2 rescued cats too so I'm for both. Just depends on what you want to do. smile
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 10:30am PST 
I think y'all are right about priorities. We all think each other's are skewed laugh out loud. I also think I surprised them when I mentioned the price. I'm the thrifty rescuer in the family, so it came as a bit of a shock to them that I'd be willing to spend money on a purebred, pedigreed poodle laugh out loud. Anyways, thanks everyone. I knew that I could count on dogsters to make me feel better about my decision smile.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2