GO!

Tell me about sled dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 5:56pm PST 
I kind of think of Samoyeds as "lite" sled dogs, kinda like Rough Collies are "lite" herding dogs... they have both been bred for pets/showdogs for a long time, no serious working person is using them for their original purpose (though some hobbyists do, it's just not practical if your life or livelihood depends on it) and while they still retain a lot of the essential personality of their respective groups (sledding, herding) they are less energetic, less intense, and require less special training/handling/exercise than a purpose-bred working dog, like a Border Collie, or a racing Siberian or Alaskan. They both also have a lot more coat than their forebears... so much so that it can get in the way of their work.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 5:38am PST 
Rocky - Yes, my huskies are "house huskies". Luna my siberian hasn't shed that much this year maybe its because she's still a puppy. She'll be 8 months old on the 22nd. But mishka is a horendous shedder lol. She'll start getting clumps so i'll take her outside and just pull out the clumps. For me it's a satisfaction.

I run into ppl all the time that want a huksy. When they see mine they are all like "i want a husky so bad". I tell them do a huge amount of research on the breed before you get them because there's more to the husky than having gorgeous coats and goofy personalities. I see too much rehoming ads on huskies because the owners buy them because they like the way they look before doing their research. once the puppy gets older and has all that energy they don't want the dog anymore because it's too much responsibility to keep their energy level down.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3