GO!

Pit Bull/Shar Pei mix?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:04am PST 
I think Chows just have a "bubble".. as long as you don't invade that bubble, they are fine.. They don't like to be handled by strangers at all, and don't seem to like the presence of other dogs much. There seems to be a lot of Chows and Shar Pei's around here and there has been very very few of either breed that will tolerate strangers touching them.. The shar Pei's seem to have higher tolerance than the Chows though. Interestingly enough one of the friendliest most polite dogs I knew is a Shar Pei/Chow cross though! He somehow managed to be a well balanced, lovely dog..It was weird laugh out loud
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:50pm PST 
I have had a lot of experiences with the Shar Pei breed, I work at a spay/neuter clinic. I love all dogs and do not judge a dog by the way he/she looks. With that being said, almost every encounter I've had with a Shar Pei has ended badly. This could most definitely be due to their owners and the way they were raised but I deal with many breeds every single day. They are one of the most difficult to deal with IMO. Just grabbing the leash from the owner or trying to get them on the scale is extremely difficult and they immediately start to growl, alligator roll, etc. I have had very few positive experiences but it has happened.

I be more specific, my aunt has a pit/shar pei mix and he bites her children and other dogs. He was raised from a puppy in their house, too. confused
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 6:00pm PST 
It sounds like anyone wanting a Shar Pei or Chow Chow need to choose the breeder extremely carefully and wisely, and be diligent in raising them. Definitely not for a novice or even intermediate dog owner.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:15pm PST 
Twister- yes. And to be the right kind of person to appreciate that kind of dog. Can't force a square peg into a round hole...
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:28pm PST 
I knew someone who had two chows and they loved that independent aloof personality it was what they had deliberately gone for and they knew what they were getting. They will never have another one though, the two they had both from good breeders and different lines ended up with the same horrible inherited condition cry. Shar peis are infamous for health problems as well but I guess that's to be expected when the breed crashes like they did in the 70's and has to be rebuilt from only a handful of dogs.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:20pm PST 
Our Shar-pei must have been an anomalie as she didn't mind being petted by strangers. Aloof yes, but if out for a walk she would let people pet her. And she loved kids! I know other Shar-peis that are the same, so it must be in the lines and socialization. She was also super tolerant of Maggie when Maggie was a puppy. Maggie would bug her all the time to play and she never once growled. She played a bit and then would just walk away. We never had any issues with her and other dogs except for the time i mentioned earlier when a dog came after her agressively.
However, strangers couldn't get near the house - she was very protective of her home to the point where she would probably would have bitten.
I would not recommend a Shar-pei for a first time owner or for owners who have lots of people coming in and out all the time. Their guard dog instincts are just to strong to take the chance of having someone just walk in the house without being invited.

As for chows - someone I know married a guy who had a chow before they met. Even after they were married for quite a time, she would have to call him when she was outside the house to let her in because the dog would not let her just walk in the house.
[notify]
Indo

Big headed love- bug

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:49pm PST 
I own a Pitbull/Shar pei mix & would never trade him for any other breed of dog! Yes, they do need extra training & socializing. They are very strong dogs, full of energy, & can be very playful. But they are the MOST sweetest, loving dogs I have ever encountered. He will not provoke another dog but if another dog decides to attack him, he will probably fight back. It is important to keep a close eye on your dog when around other dogs & be a responsible dog owner! Hope your mom decided to take that puppy home because I know she WONT REGRET IT!applause
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:43pm PST 
Indo - she decided NOT to take the dog home, and quite frankly, I'm happy she didn't. If you read through the thread, you'd recognize the fact that she is NOT equipped to properly socialize such a breed. I'm glad you love your dog, but I wouldn't go recommending just any breed to just any person.
[notify]
Harley (past- foster dog)

Did someone say- 'walk'??

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:56pm PST 
Maggie-- my foster Shar-Pei Harley also loved kids.
He was somewhat shy with new people and especially men, would keep his distance from strange men until he got to know them, but any kids could run up to him and he'd be very friendly and happy to be petted by them. This may have been due to his past, which was unknown since he was a stray rescue at 5 years old... When my cousin visited with his new baby Harley just loved that kid, and when she was sleeping he'd lay down in front of whoever was holding her at the time and not budge.
He also was protective of the house and car although if someone was invited in he was non-aggressive.

He was ok with my other dogs and cat but had some issues with certain other intact males which seemed to be hormone-related most likely. He was intact when I rescued him and most of the time I had him, so this may have changed after neutering once his testosterone levels went down.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4