GO!

Australian Koolie (German Koolie)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:51am PST 
Good Morning all Dogsters! wave

I have not herd much about this breed, but yesterday an interest sparked while watching a show on Animal Planet. Well, actually I was doing some house cleaning, and the hubby was watching Dog Whisperer. Shortly after the episode started, he rushed out to get me to show me the "Unique" dog on tv. I was quite surprised, when I saw it was a Koolie. As he is typically in to the Nordic/Spitz looking breeds. Anyway, the rest of the evening he was ranting how he really was intrigued by the dog he saw on tv, and wanted to know much more about it. Being I have not done much researching of the breed, or heard a lot about it. I really could not provide him with much detail, other than they are a medium sized Australian herding breed.

So, we both are curious to know a bit more about this breed. Realizing that it is a herding breed. How is their intensity, and personality in comparison to say a Australian Shepherd or a Border Collie. Also, it seems that the main gene of them is Merle, which we like, but does the breed suffer from many health problems due to the coloration?

If anyone has had personal encounters, experiences, or owns one we would sure love to hear what you have to say! snoopy
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:31am PST 
They are lovely dogs, really nice nature, bond strongly to one person, but comparable to a border collie in terms of intensity ... not for the faint of heart! The ones I have seen have energy levels that are through the roof. To me they seem even more active than my kelpie which us kinda saying something, lol.

The merle colouring can produce deafness just like in Australian Shepherds. Here is the relevant information about it from the Australian Koolie club.

'It is a sad fact that koolies are sometimes born deaf, this is not to say it is a common occurrence in the Koolie breed, certainly not as common as some other breeds. Many breeders have only ever had one or two after several litters. Usually it is not difficult to predict which in a litter are going to suffer this defect. White around the head, particularly over the ears and around the eyes are indications that the puppy should be carefully checked for the ability to hear and see before being sent to new homes. A lack of pigment in the hair in the ears makes it impossible for sound to be transmitted along the hair into the inner ear. Sometimes though it is not so obvious and all conscientious breeders will be aware anyone can breed an affected puppy. Occasionally a puppy that is strongly coloured can be deaf. Most cases of deafness are caused by the puppy being a homozygous merle (MM) where the mating was merle to merle and the puppy has inherited the merle gene from both parents. Heterozygous merles (Mm) usually have no problem, but deafness can be from other causes although less common. Homozygous merles are also often quite pale in their merling and often have large areas of white over the body apart from what is often around the chest, collar, stomach and socks usually called Irish Trim. Some are all white with just a touch of colour or merling here and there. This isn't a guarantee of problems, sometimes these dogs can hear and see OK but they are more than likely homozygous merle anyway and should not be bred to another merled dog.'

This is a breed I personally really like and would definitely consider one for the future. Course I like herders. wink I wouldn't recommend one to someone who doesn't love and have experience with sheep dogs.

Edited by author Thu Jun 21, '12 6:47am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:49am PST 
Oh I love koolies!!

There's one at our barn where we go to herd and she's really intense. She's not really what I'd call friendly to say the least. She only like her one person. She's a monster on sheep and frankly I'd love to have one.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:55am PST 
Some more info:

History of the Koolie
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 4:57am PST 
Thank you, for the information. Hubby and I, have been reading more about them. Their nature is absolutely beautiful, and we really like. I have taken the liberty to talk to a few Koolie owners. They have said, that a properly socialized and stimulated Koolie. Does form a close bond with one particular person, but can tolerate strangers as well. Just that they are not going to be like say as outgoing as a Golden Retriever, may take a bit more warming up to come out of its shell. They, said that they are incredible smart as whips, just like the Border Collie, Kelpie etc.

One persona in particular did say that majority of Koolies are used for herding of course, as well as agility and flyball(which she does with hers). She did say however that if you are a fairly active persons, like daily active. They are good breed for the outdoorsy things. That they can keep up very well, and often are a good motivation she said she knew from experience. As I guess one of her Koolies, will run in laps around where she is sitting while whining, until she will take him outdoors to romp and run around.

Such a fascinating breed, definitely one I am gonna go into more depth with.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:04am PST 
Oh yeah, they're really awesome. I found a stray one once at a farmers market and still wish to this day I took him home. He was red merle with green eyes. Such a beautiful dog. I let him go because I thought he might have an owner somewhere, stupid me. naughty I will get one one day for sure. way to go
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 4:41am PST 
I know a few people with some. They're somewhere between a Border Collie and a Kelpie in intensity (based off the few I know).

Don't get one if:
1) You can't exercise it (and I don't mean train I mean run) for an extensive period of time a day.
2) A dog staring at you constantly bothers you.
3) You don't want a dog always underfoot.
4) You're not an atheltic person into dog training.

Saying an "active" person is misleading because while these dogs are smart they will train themselves to do things you don't like if you're not on them. They will get destructive or neurotic if bored. These are dogs who I personally feel need dog sports for the release of energy especially if they're not going to be farm dogs.

Edited by author Sun Jun 24, '12 4:43am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 7:05pm PST 
My son, Boohbah, is an Australian Koolie and he is hands down the most amazing creature I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I raised him from a baby (1 week) when his momma died prematurely. He is a blue Koolie with one blue eye and one brown eye. We can not breed him with another blue murrel because they usually have puppies that come out blind and deaf. He is absolutely beautiful. They are a lot of work, but worth it.

A few things though. I have come to realize he will never be used to small children. They scare him and when approached he barks, so I try to steer clear. He also needs and likes a lot of exercise. I live about a five minute walk from the beach and I take him twice a day so he can run and chase the birds. They are finnicky eaters, and he sticks to one favorite food.....mighty dog. But he also likes to eat people food including apples, grapes, popsicles and icecream.

And yes, he is particularly attached to me, even though he was raised by both myself and my significant other. I don't tell her but I know if he had to choose, it would be me. Because he was bottle fed by me, he also likes to nurse on my fingers, like a baby would a pacifier. At two, he still loves it and I can't bring myself to tell him no.

He is a really good listener. I don't even have to tell him something in a commanding voice and he knows exactly what I am saying. He is also a great companion when I am sick or sad. He knows my moods better than anyone.

The most important thing about the Koolie is that, if you think for any reason you might at some point not be able to handle a dog with tons of energy, and if for any reason you think you might get tired of a Koolie eating your shoes (by accident) or his pee pads (by accident) or your wall (maybe by accident), then don't get one. They will give you a run for your money and I have known a lot of Koolie owners who have wanted to give up. DON'T. If you give that dog up to a shelter or another person, he will wait for you for the rest of his life.

Good luck in your search. I hope I was helpful.

Happy Koolie Owner
Jessica
[notify]
Angel Lou

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:14am PST 
Thank you, for the additional information on the Koolie. It was very much appreciated and took it heart. It seem as if my list keeps growing, even though I eliminate breeds off. The Koolie is one that is surely staying though.
[notify]
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 4:57pm PST 
I have a Coolie and he is quite the dog! Lovely drives and the perfect amount of intensity, when called for. He can also be a complete goof, which I really enjoy too.

What made me want to post a reply (seeing how this thread is a few months old!) is that someone mentioned above that the C/Koolie they knew was a one person dog, but mine as well as others I know are actually very outgoing! Of course a lot has to do with upbringing, but I've also had a Border Collie and have a little Aussie and they were more of the one person-velcro-type dogs and they were raised the same as him. My Coolie has full focus on me for the vast majority of the time, but as soon as I say "Let's go say hi!" as we approach someone, he loves wiggling on over to whoever the new victim is and just smothers them with wet ones as he wags his entire body!

My guy is only 7 months now, and of course has tons of energy, but he releases that energy with the outlets I provide and then is the perfect house pet. In short, when the guidelines are clear and they are given some activity/job, they are more than happy to just go with the flow of your daily life..as long as they are included! smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2