GO!

German Shepherds in Ontario, Canada

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 5:46pm PST 
Knowing your lines only account for so much- if said lines are nothing to write home about, then why expect anything exceptional from them?

Not saying that's the case for Narina, but in general. Knowing your bitch line back 10 generations doesn't mean a whole lot if none of those females were any good.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 6:01pm PST 
@ Zephyr....you ALWAYS have to choose carefully wink

I personally don't know Narnia dogs, but my breed contact says their lines are solid and they've done well with novices in Schutzhund. Good, sound, useful dogs. Checked on Valiant Val, who has both his Sch III and OTCH, which is ridiculously complicated and scopey, was out of a zPS bitch, and was the sire of their Wichita, who has competed well down in these parts and been on Team Canada.

@ Bunny....you need to share names w/ the OP! Don't be coy laugh out loud I am trying to drum up showline breeders who do well in the upper OB ring and don't breed anything too extreme, and/or import breeders who stick with their female families. Maybe you know a different spin also smile
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 6:27pm PST 
I've seen them, multiple in fact, and they're just not to my taste. It's nothing personal, and I don't have an issue with the lines, I just don't like many of the dogs I've seen. I've seen one dog I'd take home and the rest... eh. They're also in the same region as a current Team Canada member and frankly his dogs outclass just about anything in the region but I digress. They do have some lovely imports occasionally.

Choose carefully was also just a general reminder. laugh out loud I'm not a breeder basher, the one person I know who has one of their dogs is happy enough with the experience, but there are closer and likely more suitable options in Ontario rather than an 18 hour drive. wink

I'd also note that an OTCh in Canada is a UD in the AKC. It can be a misleading difference.

Have you looking into GSD rescue in Ontario Quinlan or were you looking more for breeder buy?

Edited by author Thu Apr 26, '12 6:33pm PST

[notify]

(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 7:09pm PST 
Wow...I like both Bullinger and Narnia, just from a quick look though...I would have to go visit them in person though...shipping a puppy would worry me as I would want to meet the breeder and parents etc

I love all the help people are giving smile

BUNNY
HA HA...would you let us sleepover?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:11pm PST 
Thanks for the added info, Zephyr, re Narnia. I get that. Just trying to match Quinlan with breeders whose GSDs have some reputation for a good mind. Wouldn't be surprised if they were not to my taste either, but it seems like they hit that mid line temperament wise without too much angulation, which obviously bugs Quinlan. Reminding everyone this is not Quinlan's choice of dog, but rather what her SO wants. So finding a dog not incompatible with her Sheltie sensibility has been on my mind.

Regarding the distance question, I think particularly with this breed and all its issues, if there's an exceptional breeder, it's worth the added haul. Here in the U.S., there are less than twenty breeders you wouldn't have to pay me money to take a puppy from.

@ Mulder, just musing that if for ten generations you had nothing but crappy producers, you wouldn't have any dogs to brag on...you'd be an unsuccessful breeder. The GSD has many breeders of success, but an overload of what I term as "producers" vs "breeders." To me there is a difference. Not discrediting the former, particularly given that rarely will Germany sell its best puppies and thereby for the American puppy buyer there need to be options. If where you succeed is from the offspring of the stud-you-purchased and bitch-you-purchased, then you are producing puppies, meaning (if successful) you have the ability to import well and the knowledge (important, for not all do) to follow patterns of known crosses that work. This vs a breeder actually being what is behind that pedigree, building their line to that point and thereby knowing it thoroughly, having a good concept of the direction their line is heading, and where success is attained. More distinctly, you can't really soundly improve what you are producing if you don't have your own line. The basic format of breeding animals is an extremely sound female line....that coveted foundation bitch (or two) that you build off of and improve in the ensuing generations.

So that's the difference....if you admire certain German lines and dogs, you can see what is on offer from people importing those lines. Whereas, if you admire a particular stud or a dog from a particular female, whether the breeder using that dog was actually behind the dog himself becomes a more salient question. For those who do not build female lines are not behind the pedigrees of the dogs they produce, and those who do, are.

Quinlan....I am hoping I am not confusing Dogster Shelties here, but I believe you have a tight relationship with your very savvy breeder. You might also talk to them....they might well know someone in your region they admire. I am still trying to find out for you who has a lot of Appleridge lines. That's a very sound line for OB, rally, etc. You could also talk to your regional OB club for what is out there also.

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL, do research....there are a lot of problems this breed faces, so you'd need to head in with your eyes wide open.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 4:17am PST 
Of course, Quinn. We always have room for guests big grin Where is Bullinger located?

@ Tiller, I was referring to the ones you mentionedsmile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 6:04am PST 
Tiller, suppose good can be subjective. Dealt with this recently with a friend who decided to get a Rott puppy. Bragged up their breeder big time, who in their heyday might actually have been quite good... but who currently breeds generation after generation of untitled, unchecked dogs (from sire AND dam line). Go on all you like about knowing your lines, but having no objective way to prove their quality... well, does not make them very quality at all IMHO.
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 9:41am PST 
Thanks Tiller!
Ya...I was in touch with my breeder and she recommended the Belgians, but after getting in touch with 2 breeders, my SO said he didn't like the look and prefers the German Shepherd...I think its the Police Officer genetics in him LOL

I just want a good family dog, to do some obedience and agility...good with kids and my Shelties of course. My worry with teh angulation is that with a big angle...more issues arise.

BUNNY
WOO HOO...sleep over...I'm sure my SO wont understand driving there to get a dog...but I woudl be soo in to do it!
I am driving 2 hours to visit the boy's breeder tomororw just for training and grooming smile Anything for my dogs!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 10:11am PST 
... you told your breeder that all you were looking for was a nice house dog to do some casual OB?

And she recommended a Belgian?

Well then.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 11:57am PST 
Bullinger is in BC. She has been around for years but stays out of the show world. Solid working dogs from import lines.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3