GO!

German Shepherds in Ontario, Canada

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 10:00am PST 
Hi,
I have 2 Shelties and have been talking to my boyfriend about the breed he wants to get once we purchase our first home within the next year.

He has always wanted a German Shepherd...thing is...I am not a fan of the hips on the breed...the angles are just not my thing.
So I tried to show him Belgian Shepherds, but he is still sticking the the German Shepherds.

Anyone able to tell me breeders of German Shepherds so i can get in touch with them and discuss the breed and options smile

THANKS!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 10:39am PST 
Hips are no better or worse than any large, popular breed of dog. Not all dogs are grossly over angulated in the rear.

German Shepherd Dog Club of Canada
GSDCA - may have contacts for you even if not in Canada.

Email either for information on the breed. Both will likely be able to assist you in finding a local breeder who meets your criteria.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 11:05am PST 
You may be in luck! smile, although I am not sure if they still have a station in Ontario (their primary base is now out of TN). But Appleridge is a dominant name in the Canadian OB GSD. You would need to check them out. They do, I forewarn, go for a slightly larger GSD and they are a larger kennel, but save that? They have a solid reputation with the GSD obedience crowd....they breed (and title) for a lot of temperament and for trainability. They are big on the health testing, and I believe they are testing for DM now as well (which not many are). They are very much into their own bag....they title in show but their dogs are less extreme, they do lots of prelim titles with OB, know their lines extremely well (i.e., there is an "Appleridge pedigree"). Select right, and you may find a pedigree which combines DeBrut, which is the premiere OB lineage in this breed, along with some import lines, etc. Def a breeder who has a very specific vision, good rep, health testing up the wazoo, female lines they know inside and out.

HERE is an example of their look. Lots of "street cred" on this breeder. If you were looking for an OB prospect in this breed, this would be a name that would come up in terms of a dog with the mind and longterm soundness potential.

If there is no base out of Ontario, let me see who I can dig up carrying their lines. It's very synonymous with Canadian OB GSD, and I'd think as a Sheltie person would be something you could groove on.

Edited by author Wed Apr 25, '12 11:11am PST

[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 4:02pm PST 
OT a bit but this may be of interest to you, Mulder:

http://offa.org/stats_hip.html

GSDs are #40 for highest incidence of CHD for all breeds with over 100 representatives in the database. It also includes rare and small breeds but clearly you can see other large popular breeds like Great Danes, Boxers, and Weims who have better overall breed statistics, and Goldens and Newfies, who have 'worse'.
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 4:09pm PST 
I would love an obedience (rally) or agility prospect, but I think rally and obedience are VERY important smile

I will look at all those site reccomendations smile

Keep the ideas coming smile

THANKS hamster dance
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 4:40pm PST 
Lilith, I've come by that list before... my favorite part is that Maine Coons are ranked higher than GSDs, lol

Considering the sample size it means absolutely nothing of course, but its always a fun stat to throw at people who don't know any better when discussing the issue laugh out loud

I do like that it gives a general % of the effected population, though. For as much as people cry about how poor the hips are in this breed, 19% isn't all that big of a number.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 5:10pm PST 
Certainly not the worst, but it is a pretty relevant consideration. Interestingly, PennHIP data for GSDs tend towards higher rates of CHD at lower scores when compared to some other popular breeds. It's not conclusive that it's because of the build of a GSD but it's certainly a possibility.

http://www.pennhip.org/Images/DJD_Probability.jpg
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:38am PST 
One of my contacts recommended another.....Narnia. They'd be a day away, in New Brunswick, but maybe worth it. They focus on import lines and working dogs, but unlike a lot of the rest stick with their female families, so they know their pedigrees very well, which alas isn't always the case. They have been breeding for a long time, good rep. They had some OTCHs up in Canada, as well as working K9s, etc. They are very good with the health testing, do full panels, including DM. Good for you to think of if you want a more moderate dog, as theirs are that surely. You'll get more engine with this sort of dog vs an American, but they are ethical and breed for more of a midline, with the pet owner in mind, as be it for "just pets" or the weekend warriors, when it comes to GSDs that is the main population breeders dogs go to. They really find that balance.

If I am mentioning NB, also cannot fail to mention Bullinger, which is one of the finest kennels in the world. Period. They compete in SV type competitions, which is the German show structure. Stunning dogs with a lot of working temperament, very well balanced, though. A lot of people who wanted to do OB have worked with Bullinger and gotten on a nice dog. She's also been on her females for a very long while, and of all the breeders in North America on import lines, her producing families are amongst the most actively pursued....exceptional producing female families, they go really deep. Her male Utah is drop dead gorgeous and doing everything right as a sire. These are "elite" pedigrees....some of the finest in the world. Dogster Bianca is from a Bullinger bitch. Tracy, the brains behind Bullinger, is a naturally gifted person and a great mentor for anyone to have, but if you went Bullinger your SO would really need to be up for investing in his dog....they aren't couch ornaments and need something to do.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 4:53pm PST 
Tiller, how is it you neglected to mention that there were 2! awesome GSD breeders in my province, when I was interested in GSD'S?shock wink If it was only up to me, I would still be interested in them smile Quinn, the first one is 3 hours from me, I can't find the second one though. If it's closer, you can come and visit mebig grin
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 5:14pm PST 
I know a few Narnia dogs. I liked one. The others were nothing to write home about. Choose carefully.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3