GO!

Australian Shepherd/Border Collie crosses?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Tia

Did you say- Ball?

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 9:22am PST 
Happy, I don't want to pick on you, but points in your post are so off base that I have to address them.

"Tia any 'mixed breed' study tends to be very slanted. The health of the particular group of mixed breed dogs will relate directly to the health of which dogs went into the mix.

Yes Hybrid vigor is used in livestock circles, but that doesn't mean that random breeding of two dogs is going to actually Work.

For example of why these studies tend to be slanted ... there are a genetic conditions that are exclusive to one breed or group of breeds. If the study is trying to say 'mixed' breeds have less of a chance of getting Collie Eye Anomaly, than Shelties, Collies, or Australian shepherds is Only true if the mixes aren't collie/aussie mixes... The same study could prove that Doberman's are less likely to inherent this trait, it doesn't really prove anything."

What do you mean by “random breeding of two dogs is going to actually work?” Work how?

We are not talking about ‘working’ here, we are talking about best chances – which means some are going to luck out and some are not.

Overall an owner has the best chances at escaping health issues with a random bred dog. Yes, some dogs will end up worse off than others. Yes, the chances in INDIVIDUAL dogs depends on each parent, but we are speaking of overall averages here and the overall averages pan out to favor the mixed or mutt dogs.

It does need to be recognized that a wellbred purebred dog, from a breed with a good effective population size, is also going to enjoy a comparably high chance at escaping health issues. At the same time there are some/many breeds in which health issues are inescapable no matter the breeding, and the health conditions are such that there are no solid tests for them so that is not going to change soon.

It does need to be recognized that the reason purebreeds are important is for predictability of traits. That is importan. They also can be bred in smarter systems than are currently being utilized, IMHO.

Regarding the idea that SOME of these studies are slanted because they are targeting specific conditions and your remark that ‘it doesn’t prove anything’, I'm going to call you on that.

You have ignored the fact that the MOST common conditions in dogs are amongst the studies I put up – cancer, glaucoma, and hypothyroid being common conditions that affect all breeds – and mixed breeds come out on top BY FAR.

This also completely ignores the studies on resistance to health issues faced and fought better by mixed breeds, parvo (CPV) being one that I cited above.

"This doesn't even address the fact that Inbreeding is actually the best and Easiest way to remove simple genetic faults form a population. You always hear that inbreeding is awful and horrible because it piles up on bad genetics but this is actually the most important part of it's use as a tool."

Inbreeding is FAR from the BEST way to remove simple genetic faults from a population. It is also not the easiest.

To eliminate simple recessives you need to produce 35 of 35 clear pups from a suspect carrier sire or dam, bred to multiple of its own offspring to give even a 99% certainty he was not a carrier.

So please do not state that inbreeding is the best and easiest way to remove simple genetic faults when that is not true.

What breeders tend to do is inbreed a stud to a daughter or grand-daughter or two and then declare he must be ‘safe’. Actually what happens is just the opposite of what the aim was as this has the effect of fixing mutations in the gene pool.

I have also seen breeders used inbreeding - in a compromised breed - to help scientists identify a DNA marker. That does not fall under the same concept as breeders "removing genetic faults" through inbreeding as the reliance is on the development a test.

"I'm not saying that everyone should go out and randomly use inbreeding but it's proper use is undeniably an asset to a population. This is used Heavily to remove bad genes from the breeding pool In livestock so you can't look at it as a black and white issue."

Inbreeding is an asset to a breeder that wants to quickly set a trait. For that it is often used.

It is not heavily used to remove bad genes and never has been. Again, if you are suggesting it has please provide evidence as I believe you are expressing an unsupported opinion here.

I also don't look at it as a black and white issue. I don't, however, wear rose-colored glasses when looking at the inbreeding concepts touted.

"I'll state I'm a heavy working dog person, I raise livestock and used to raise border collies, they're a breed that is build heavily on out crossing sometimes even to. Because you breed the dog that works rather than the dog who has a perfectly symmetrical marked coat."

And I’ll state that I have been involved in livestock breeding for the better part of 50 years – cattle predominantly but I have known well many who produce the occasional litter of pups from good working dogs.

Edited by author Fri Apr 13, '12 9:34am PST

[notify]
Little Bell

**Chase It!!!!**

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 11:12am PST 
I have a border-aussie that is calm but is intellegent at the same time. The aussie keeps her calmer and less tenious but she has the brains of a border. I had another border-aussie who was opposite who had the energy as a border and was thoughtful like an aussie, I really like this cross!dog walk

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 11:14am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:01pm PST 
I have owned a Golden, Sheltie, and hound x golden mix. That said my "Coda" Border Collie Aussie mix is by far the best dog I have ever owned or meet. She trained her self seemly already knew what I was teaching her. She is not too hyper, she is in a outdoor kennel all day when I'm at work I throw a ball to her a few minutes a day if I have time. She lays by my feet or where she can make eye contact with me when I'm inside watching TV. She follows me everywhere I go in the house even the bathroom. When I sleep she lays by my bed and doesn't make a peep. She loves everyone if l have 5 guest at my house she will greet each one. She gets along with all other dogs. She always comes when called no matter what. I can take her on a jog and she will stay by my side the whole way without a leash no matter what dogs people kids or other distractions we may encounter. She loves to hug and cuttle. The kids that know her around the street often say" I wish my dog was like this. " perfect dog again loves to run but is calm indoors and can go days without
exercise with no issues. Does not shed much at all. Always smiles. knows Havis by name her favorite friend of mine. Never forgets anything once thought. Never herded anyone or anything! Always obeys. So you ask why? Mabye because it can produce the perfect dog and best companion Ever! I have dated many women and have made many friends, but only twice in my life have I been in love, one is my Coda dog. You are misguided and close minded you will probably miss out on many of life's best experiences. Don't knock what you haven't experienced.

Edited by author Sun Apr 21, '13 4:14pm PST

[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:36pm PST 
Two points then I will comment on the cross.

A cross between two different breeds is a cross bred dog not a hybrid.
A mule is a hybrid, a coydog is a hybrid. A lab x is a dog.

Stats are wonderful but where were the purebred dogs sourced? Did they come from mills? BYBs? The local farmer? A well bred GSD will commonly live 13-15 years, yet the lifespan is generally stated as 10-12 years. WHY? Because over half the breed population is poorly bred. Same with Danes. Well bred 10-12, common 6-8. Further all three of my dogs are listed as purebreds, in reality only with Bud do I KNOW that.

As to the OP I agree that in all likelihood the shelter staff are guessing and going with what sounds appealing/familiar.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3