GO!

Australian Shepherd/Border Collie crosses?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 3:59pm PST 
I have no idea why, but our local shelters are continually packed with Border Collie/Aussie mixes. I mean, I know why they probably ended up there - I can't think of a more high-energy, high-maintenance breed combination, and most pet owners would be woefully unprepared for such a dog - but why are they around in the first place? I can understand a few accidental breedings between BCs and Aussies; it happens, people are careless. But why so many? It has to be intentional, and I for the life of me can't think why someone would want a hyper-charged herding machine that is probably smarter than they are. Any ideas why someone would want to cross an Aussie and a BC? Why so many?
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 4:22pm PST 
Drooling here! LOVE that cross! It is a great sport dog cross, it tones down the BC with the Aussie but you still have the working ability of both breeds.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 7:08pm PST 
It is also possible that the shelter is not sure whether they are BC or Aussies, as it can be hard to tell by appearance if the Aussie doesn't have its tail docked. Behavior is different, but not all shelter people are saavy to the differences.
[notify]

Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 7:24pm PST 
Hey Chandler you are fabulous! Watched your video, you should talk your mom into doing agilitysmile
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 9:47pm PST 
Oi... good cross for sport but not really a lot else. Chances are that they aren't actually that cross since the few good breeders who I know who do cross the breeds don't generally release dogs to 'general public' but to people who are heavy into sports.

I honestly wouldn't say it tones down the border collies so much since a lot of well breed border's are intense but Focused, and a lot of aussies aren't quite a focused. I've seen some really Really nice dogs from the cross and then I've seen some that were a nightmare even for an experienced handler.

That said most of the people who do the cross are doing it for flyball/agility/ect. It can create an ideal 'trainers' dog, one with all the force of personality of both breeds. Personally it isn't a cross I'd do, but I have no problems with the people who do it.

I've Never seen one that was truly talented at working stock since their herding styles are totally different. I'm not going to say that there aren't mixes out there that are but it's not something commonly done in herding circles.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 10:45am PST 
The "Texas Heeler" cross is a lot more common. It's ACD/Aussie which sometimes sorta works for stock dogs if you've got the right combo. I think they were aiming for a softer ACD but it doesn't quite work that way.

I frequently have to double-take some Aussies and Borders because of less popular color patterns and lankier or stockier builds. The merle border collie had me a bit perplexed.

Edited by author Sat Mar 31, '12 10:46am PST

[notify]
Bella

Taste the Furry- Fury!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 4:32am PST 
My sister has a Border-Aussie and they are wonderful dogs, but she got hers from a breeder. He is a medium-sized dog, very sturdy, and has a gorgeous black and white coat! He loves to run around at the dog park for hours and she takes him biking at least a couple times a week. He is the smartest dog I've ever met and not only is a therapy dog, but does agility and triball.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 1:53pm PST 
Bella,

a Border-Aussie breeder? confused
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 2:21pm PST 
Thanks for the compliment Huck, but Chan got the bad luck of his litter and has loose hips. Because of them, he seems to be very prone to strains in his hindquarters, so the demands of agility would be too much. We've been casually taking Nosework classes as a more low-impact sport.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 2:48pm PST 
Happy wrote "That said most of the people who do the cross are doing it for flyball/agility/ect. It can create an ideal 'trainers' dog, one with all the force of personality of both breeds. Personally it isn't a cross I'd do, but I have no problems with the people who do it. "

Can you explain why it would be the ideal trainers dog? Just wondering.

I think most shelters are really just guessing, and how many have a herd of sheep to check herding style?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3