GO!

Tell me about the Xoloitzcuintli...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 8:38am PST 
I'm not planning for another dog for quite a while, and even then I'm probably going for another Shiba, bol.

But I really love the standard Xolo...I'm not too big a fan of the other two sizes, but the standards are such beautiful dogs...to me at least big grin

Obviously they have skin issues...but does anyone else here know much else about the breed??

Thanks! blue dog
[notify]
Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:08am PST 
WAAYYYYYY back in the late 60's, my dad owned a house in Guanajuato, Mexico. In a nearby town was a famous transplanted Italian architect named Georgio Belloli. Dad was highly interested in Mexican architect and so became friends with Georgio. We used to visit him in his expansive 'villa' quite often.

He had a pair of Xolo's. They were good watchdogs, alerted on strange people coming to the gate, patrolled the 'walls' and seemed very 'serious' as dogs. I never saw them play together. I petted them and their skin was rough and sparsely bristled like elephant skin. They were always hot too, and laying in the shade. They didn't much appeal to me, and as a child (well as a adult too!) I never saw a dog I didn't like--LOL!

That's my 'first hand' experience with Xolo's.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 1:22pm PST 
Xolos are a more primitive breed. They are protective by nature, so you'll need to work a little harder with them to be readily accepting of strangers. With *any* primitive, you (plural) need a respect from what in our own day-to-day is more modern, and can reasonably expect something more primitive to have a greater distance to travel on those issues. So company coming and going, the house going empty 9-5, housebreaking, etc., can be bigger challenges. That said, the Xolo is very intelligent, because of his strong loyalty he is both homestead-y and (IMO) surprisingly easy to train for a primitive and he's got a good bit of character. This is a "master's dog," so can be one personish. They are reputed to be excellent climbers with more toe grip. These are nice dogs....I was drooling over what they put before the judge at Westminster this year, who I believe placed Group 4th which really does translate to 2nd or the winner as a judge won't feel comfortable placing a new dog so high (far less past examples to compare him to). They may not like being left alone, need extra effort with socialization and have some hardness to them....you need to be consistent and a good leader, as this can be a self assured dog. I am totally into them. My husband LOVES them....one of the few breeds we totally agree on. Def not a choice for a first time dog owner, but a cool breed to try if you are dog savvy and up for a challenge and adventure.
[notify]

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 2:35pm PST 
Tiller- Thank you! That was very informative!

I made a mistake once before a looong time ago with socialization...I definitely learned my lesson about that, bol.

But I loove intelligent breeds...I also like to have a bit of a challenge when it comes to training.

I also don't mind one-person breeds, considering I am rather solitary myself in real life.

And I think that, having (somewhat!) gained the respect of a Shiba...I think I can handle pretty much any hard-headed breed laugh out loud

And the Westminster Xolo....good grief, I was drooling too! Such a beautiful dog. I'd love a standard Xolo like that...
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:35pm PST 
I know this thread is almost a year old, but I had some more questions about the breed. Specifically for Tiller who I hope will see this!

One thing I've read a couple times about the breed, that I'm not sure whether or not is a myth, is that because of their dental issues you need to be careful about what you feed them. I've seen a couple times where people claimed that Xolos, even standards, should be fed dry kibble. I am a huge advocate for the raw diet, so would it be fine for a Xolo to be on this kind of diet? Perhaps only feeding softer bones? Obviously because of their teeth, if I ever get one, I would be dedicated to brushing them every day anyway lol

Also in regards to their skin, I've also read that only those dogs with lighter spots/freckles should need sunscreen and only on those lighter spots. Is this also true? Or should they get sunscreen on their entire bodies when it is hot out? And do they ever need any sort of doggie lotion considering that they have no fur to hold in their bodies' natural oils?

The breed, especially standards, seem so hard to find that finding correct information about them has also proved rather challenging.

Thanks for any help!
[notify]