GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 2:19pm PST 
I've gotten this when walking with Tanuk as well. Many people are afraid of him, but kids tend to run right up for a hug. I assume the adults think he is a hybrid, or it might be because of his size. It is very rude and very upsetting. When we take him out in public like that I've begun having him wear his Doggles or a ridiculously cute bandana. I've noticed it makes people more at east around him, and people in general are friendlier.

ETA: Once when we were walking into Petco, Tanuk had his Gentle Leader on and the person walking out made the comment "glad that thing's on a muzzle." By the time what they said sunk in they had gone. I was very distraught by that.

Edited by author Sat May 28, '11 2:23pm PST

[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 4:52pm PST 
People can be jerks...I obviously don't have a "mean dog" (although doxies have their own reputation) but I was talking to a woman at Petsmart IN UNIFORM and she was sitting there telling me how dogs are horrible and she is SO glad that there are leash laws and she doesn't know why anyone would get a dog...unfortunately I had to just sit there and nod...

Even my dad looks to the look and not the dog itself. It's sad. We had an american bulldog next door that kept getting out of the house and into our yard. My dad wouldn't go near her because 'those dogs can just turn on you at any point'. She had to be the happiest friendliest and most wiggly dog. I have no idea how he could think she would ever be mean.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 5:14pm PST 
Since Mom is an avid seamstress, she is going to get to work right away on some super-cute bandannas for me! smile Maybe next time we go out, I won't be such a "threat to the populace".
[notify]

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 2:58am PST 
Stupid is as stupid does--oops did my mom really just say that? People in my town do that to me also. Boxers are not even immune to that attitude and it is so useless. You are so gorgeous!! My mom tries to ignore the attitudes and go about our business. It's hard to understand some people.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 3:55am PST 
People are so ignorant and cruel. We dealt with this Turner's entire life. We taught Turner some tricks so he would appeal to those who were curious. He loved people and you could see he was upset when people would shun him... Once people got to realize how wonderful and loving he was they would look at pits in another light... He was a wonderful embassador for his breed!
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 4:33am PST 
Don't you let what people say get to you. I don't have a bully breed but I really believe its the owner not the dog to make them bad. Any dog can be a BULLY. I find that the dogs that have gone to attack my dog have been the doxies, chis and even a brussel griffon. Jovi just loves the bully breeds and whenever he goes to say hi to them they have been the friendliest. Just enjoy your beautiful girl and keep on socializing her. You are doing everything right by her and your family.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 5:55am PST 
Some people just choose to be ignorant. The only thing you can do is be yourself. It's amazing how people can see how great these dogs are right before their eyes and still think they're some sort of monster. These people...you just can't help.
[notify]
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:04am PST 
cloud 9 Your girl is lovely

One thing I will say is, don't be rude to those who are being rude to you, although others have suggested it. No disrespect to any other Dogsters but I don't think being rude to these people really helps a situation- it just confirms in their mind that pitties are evil and their owners are stupid. Whenever anyone has made a nasty comment about how Roxie will turn on me or about how bully breeds are vicious I kneel down to her, let her kiss my face and talk to her saying "yup, you really are vicious hey Roxie-roo?".. Then I usually inform them that she is the sweetest dog anyone could meet, reguardless of what the media may say. If their rude behaviour continues I just shake my head and walk away. Their loss.

I think the pretty bandanna is a good idea- something pink, or another inviting colour. My Roo-rah is walked on a pink leash and collar, and her tag is the shape of a love heart. We don't often get nasty comments- usually quite the opposite- but I have noticed more people want to give her attention since the pink collar and leash laugh out loud
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:09am PST 
You can't legislate against prejudice. You can only be the best example of your breed possible. Choosing this breed. you knew you were going to be facing an uphill battle against government, insurance companies, media, and people's fears in general.

You need to develop a hard shell, because this is the path you chose. Be the very best example of your breed and act as an ambassador.

Do not whine, protest, or insult them, no matter what your id and egos are telling you. Turn the other cheek and lead an exemplary example. Whining, protesting, or insulting them, only confirms in people's minds that not only do you have a renegade breed, the owner fits the package as well. Be a cut above, and show a classy front.

The people who can't get past your appearance, aren't the kind of people you want to associate with anyway. They did their personality triage for you.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:28am PST 
People often feel this way about me. They think I'm a mean German Shepherd or wolf. Actually, there are many purebred elkhounds being sold as wolves (used to be in petstores, but now advertised privately as wolves for sale, because pet stores no longer sell "wild animals".
There are many "Wolves" being sold with purebred "papers" (Wonder who keeps the stud book on wild animals?) But surprisingly, those names in the registration papers are ELKHOUND names. People want the great pet temperaments, with the designer pet status. When i try to tell these people, what they have is not a wolf at all, but rather an purebred elkhound, they flash their "papers" to prove he's a wolf AFTER all!

I had a man with a purebred elkhound (male) try to convince me that i should breed my purebred wolf to his wolf, because they were obviously identical. I explained my dog was not a wolf, he was a champion Elkhound, and he said I was wrong, because his wolf had papers (as if mine did not) proving he was a wolf. Although unmistakeably, they were the same breed. (Oh, and his dog and my dog were both males, so I don't know how he planned to pull this off anyway)

This is the kind of ignorance and myths we all deal with. Rather than be upset about it, laugh at them. It makes your days go by much easier.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9