GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 12:58pm PST 
I am a 5 month old American Pit Bull Terrier. Mommy, Daddy, and my 2-legged siblings LOVE to take me out to places that I can go with them. (Like the park, Petsmart, Petco, and the local pet supply store) I get to pick out my toys, and meet people. Mom says it's good for me, and that it's for socialization. But too often, people will not give me the loving I want, they won't let their kids play with me, and they sometimes say mean things to my Mom or Dad about my breed. They predict that I will do awful things. My parents don't believe in any of it, because they know I'm a good girl, but it's hard on Mom when random strangers tell her that I will grow up and kill my 2 legged siblings because I was "Born to kill". How should my Mom or Dad respond to these vicious comments?

Edited by author Fri Jun 3, '11 3:34pm PST

[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:02pm PST 
Well, if people were rude enough to tell me to my face that I was raising something that was going to kill my kids, I would politely tell them about the tin-foil hat store next door, and tell them they are having a sale that they just can't miss. wink But my sense of humor is a little off.

hughug In all seriousness though, lots of hugs for you guys, it must be hard going through that. I would just politely ignore them, and the best way to prove them wrong is just by example. When your pup doesn't grow up to be the "baby-killer" that they said it would be it will be the ultimate education.

There's lots of people here on dogster that has been in your shoes, so I'm sure lots of more helpful advice will be on the way. Adorable pup by the way. smile
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:18pm PST 
oh little cutie!! I would just love to smoosh your face and squish your ears

not all humans are that stupid to believe that crap!
[notify]

Red

Just a big baby- ;)

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:24pm PST 
Sadly a lot of people already have their minds made up about the bully type dogs and no one is going to change the way that they think - unless the media starts showing the good side instead of the bad - face it - the media IS the problem.
The best advice I can give is to ignore the comments, raise your puppy right, and enjoy having her as a part of your family.
[notify]
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:27pm PST 
To be honest, I don't give people like that the time of day. They aren't worthy of my company or conversation. If someone seems open to learning about pit bulls, I'm more than willing to talk about them, but snide comments get nothing but my back.

You have a wonderful, loving pet - don't let rude, uninformed people spoil your day.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:35pm PST 
Thanks, everyone... Yes, the media is a big problem. And a lot of people are just so willing to turn away from this adorable face because of what I "could" do.

Keira is a love bug. She never meets a stranger. She sees everyone (People, dogs, cats) as friends. It just blows our mind how people can see her face and think that she'll be a killer. She is just a puppy! We have had some ambassador moments already, at the vet. We are the only ones who go to our vet's office with an American Pit Bull Terrier. Which is crazy, because there are a TON of pitties in our county. The staff adores Keira, and so many people there have been affected by her sweet nature. smile
[notify]
Thunder

Thun Thun

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:51pm PST 
Keira, you are absolutely adorable! It is so sad that people can be so ignorant.cry We get comments also because I am a Rottweiler. But the best way to prove these people wrong is by being the best and most well-behaved pup you can.

Once when I was about 4 mo old Mom was walking me. An elderly lady approached us. We were waiting to cross the street and so was she. As she was standing behind us she said very quietly to my Mom that I would grow up to be mean. Mom turned and said "Pardon Me". The lady replied all those dogs get mean. Mom was so angry she said wanted to say many mean things but she was taught to respect her elders. Even if her elders are crazy. Mom turned told me to come and we stormed away. Mom was very proud when I calmly followed her never even looking at the lady.

But on the other hand, Mom works at a day care. She brings me in to visit a couple times a year. Mom hopes she can teach these children early that large dogs can be friendly. Some of the parents were surprised when they found out I was a Rot. But Mom, her boss and co-workers calmed any fears that they may have had. Now, the parents even ask when I will be visiting next.

BTW, Moms boss is so cool. We have had visits from pit bull pups and a mastiff along with retrievers and labs. Once we had a demo from a GSD who was a K9 officer. Hopefully these children will remember these friendly visits not be prejudiced later on in life.

Take care and be strong. Please don't waste and energy on these people.hug
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:52pm PST 
You are beautiful !

I might be tempted to tell the assinine prats that beauty comes from INSIDE.. and perhaps they walked away from the queue before they got their inside dose??

Also smile sweetly and tell them you didnt know there was a nearby sale of Ignorance ??

BUT... that said....

and it shouldnt be necessary... but we know the idiots of this world need some help...... some friends of mine have a white female pitbull..she is a big strong soft loving gorgeous girly.. but often. When they go out with her... she wears a pair of the gauzy fairy wings. You see them alot ot medievel fairs and such. They are cheap and fun.

It changes the perception of folk dramatically. I know... just shows how shallow folk are... but hey... if we the knowing can educate the dumb without the aid of duct tape and handcuffs.... GREAT !

Just another passing thought...... my beloved Cleo was a pure black beautiful gentle well behaved German Shepherd...... we had some of the same perception problems at times.

Darwin will out.. the dumb WILL stop breeding (humans this is) but it just takes time...... hang in there.

Edited by author Sat May 28, '11 1:55pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:53pm PST 
Look the person up and down, sneer, shake your head and walk away. If they push it, inform them that you do not speak to stupid bigoted fools like them.

If/When they say, "what do you mean by that?" Reply, that you are more worried about what the floor thinks of you walking on it, at least the floor is useful.

If you have managed to verbally provoke the person enough, have them arrested, if not walk away with your tail up and your head held high. hug
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 1:59pm PST 
This is something that I run into continually with Terra. What I've found out is that taking her out in a jacket/shirt/sweater, or having her wear her backpack makes her a million times more approachable. Seriously. I don't know what it is.

Normally, it's not something that I would be overly concerned about, but I want her 'out' times to be as pleasant as possible (this was especially important when she was a puppy).

It's amazing what accessories will do. People always want to pet her if she's wearing something, and when they finally ask what kind of dog she is, I now have less people freaking out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9