GO!

BIG Labrador Retrievers

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 7:31pm PST 
Well, my girl Shadow weighed in at 101 lbs the day she was spayed at one year old. Now, at just over 6yrs, I'm guessing she's about 135-145lbs. She isn't obese, but definitely a big girl. She gets 2to cups of very good food twice a day. The same that I feed my Border collie. If she didn't spend four hours a day swimming, I'd be concerned. I believe, since labs were bred down from the much larger Newfoundland, that it is possible that, occasionally, those genes are passed down. Like all labs, Shadow loves to lounge around, however, despite her giant size, she still clears the 5' yard fence when she doesn't want to be left home. We've got a vet appointment for a thyroid check next week..
[notify]
Edward

Edward - Sweet to the- core

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 8:06pm PST 
If you go to field trials a lot of the field bred labs are very tall, rangey, kind of raw boned looking. They also appear waspy wasted and lack head type. Show bred labs tend to be smaller and heavier with more bone. I have never seen a huge lab in the show ring. In our area a lot of the backyard breeder labs almost look like they have some Dane mixed in somewhere.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 10:02pm PST 
Hey, that's America! The land of bigger is better. Many breeds got the "expansion" treatment: Dobermans and GSD, but the most ridiculous are Pitbulls who started as a medium dogs at 65 lbs top and now they are advertised as giants weighing 140lbs (with jaws of steel)!

Back to Labradors: Tipping the scales at 110lbs is way too much. Anyway, these are mostly American bloodlines who differ from the stocky and short English Labs. There is a difference in temperament as well, with English Labs being calmer and more stable (though not always). American Labs are very tall, lanky, more energetic when adult with muzzle resembling pointers more then British Labs.
For what is worth - "guiding eyes" organization that uses mostly Labradors in their program, breed English short and stocky dogs. They found these to be more suitable for guiding blind people.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 5:57am PST 
Edward and Guest...that is exactly what we have going on with my Savvy. Though she is not exactly wasp waisted at 6 years old (we had a fat spell, now she is fit again) She is gangly and long bodied and though she has a blocky head, her neck is very thick and jowly. I suspect some large hound breed in the ancestry, even though she is an AKC Lab. For whatever that is worth.

Her breeder (admittedly a byb) bred them large on purpose I think. Though he did not hunt with them, I suspect a large number of them were bought up for hunting use. Thankfully, not Savvy, who is not happy with loud noises. Once I walked her to the local store to get the paper and met a person with a local field trial club who was on a coffee run. They were holding a match and when she got a look at Savvy (about 6 months at the time) she got positively teary eyed. Because Savvy was so big - long and tall. She is my beauty...even though she is far from an ideal type.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3