GO!

BIG Labrador Retrievers

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:40pm PST 
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has "over sized" Labs.Does anyone know why some labradors get so big? My lab chewy at six weeks old weighed in at over ten pounds and had very big paws.He is purebred btw,he is now 6years old and stands 27inches at the shoulder and weighs 103lbs.As a pup we gave him the right amount of food and exercise the vet reccomended.His parents were AKC registered purebred labs his father was a black lab and his mother was a white colored yellow lab.His dad was a big lab as well im not sure if he was as big as chewy is but im sure he was around there but i think chewy is taller then his dad was.
I have also seen 100lbs german shepherds. I believe Chewy is a blend of both bench and field style lab.Just because he isnt as lanky and doesn't have the very skinny head like field bred labs i have seen.

So does anyone know some possible reasons why some labs out there get so much bigger then average?

Thankyou

Edited by author Wed Mar 9, '11 12:38pm PST

[notify]
Ch.Justa- Roki Yama's- Zorro

TheJapaneseHunte- r AKA Macho stud- muffin

Barked: Sun Mar 6, '11 1:36pm PST 
I’d say it depends on the breeder and the dogs they are breeding. Show bred labs are big, very built dogs, bred to be big. Can be a dominate gene passed on to the pup. When you breed big sometimes you may get one or two pups that go over size, but there is nothing wrong with them they are just big. They are not over weight but do carry some extra pounds for the show ring (not sure why they are adding weight now). But if you look at them they do have big features, like paws, legs and tail so even when they lose what weight they have they are still very big and would still be considered fat by field breeders. But this again I believe it falls on looks and what “looks” like it would make a good working dog. Both field and bench bred labs can do their job; it’s just more of a preference thing for the owner and just what they expect of the dog. Graycroft breeds the bench lab and they still perform like field bred labs.

http://www.graycroft.com/noah/

Still can’t work the think thing so just paste it in your search bar. It will take you to Noah’s page who is BIG and still doing his job like field bred.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Mar 6, '11 11:39pm PST 
AKC registration does not gaurentee that the breeding stock your dog came from fit the breed standard. Some online brokers and puppy mills are able to get AKC papers as well as most backyard breeders.

It is likely that Chewy's breeder has been breeding a "fault" from the breed standard which is resulting in larger and larger dogs. This is fairly common in many breeds (IE the GSD reference you made) especially when people are just breeding without being active in the show ring or competition. If Chewy's breeder wasn't competing in shows there was no reason to stick to the breed standard so they would have been able to breed all the larger puppies to other larger puppies resulting in development of "BIG labrador retrievers".
[notify]

Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 6:28am PST 
We adopted my dad's lab Bentley from our local shelter a few years ago, he was 3 at the time, and had a healthy weight of 110 pounds. He's a mammoth, biggest lab I've personally seen. Since he's adopted we really have no clue about breeders and such, but he's definitely a purebred lab, but a Goliath. He's so far out of standard I more assume they were breeding for size.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 6:34am PST 
Savannah is a jumbo girl. In my neck of the woods they DO breed for size. I have seen this conversation in other threads and really don't have anything to add.

I didn't expect our girl to get SO enormous - 27 at the shoulder. Her parents were not so big and she was one of the smaller pups in the litter. One of her sibs - a black lab - was about twice as large as the other pups. He must be the size of an ox by now!
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:08am PST 
wow she is the biggest female lab i have ever seen.How much does she weigh?
[notify]
Fireside's- Twilight- Princess

Nick Name - Balistic Missle

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:14am PST 
My Zelda is only 20" at the shoulder and 52# so she is just outside the standard on the other end! big grin
Her dad was average sized and her mom was smallish but Zelda is smaller than both of them. It just happens sometimes.
Both my in-laws are shorter than me (I'm 5'8") but my husband and his brother are 6'5"

People like big dogs so I think some breeders are breeding for it.

I am constantly asked if Zelda is a purebred. I always laugh and say that she is only a smidge under the standard for a female. People are always shocked that they are supposed to be little.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:19am PST 
Chewy, that is kind of hard to say. She is on a diet and exercise program. I think we have maybe ten more pounds to go, for my target of 90 lbs.

When we get there, I will see if she is in good condition or lose a few more if needed.

So I guess around 100 now.
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 6:09pm PST 
Good luck with her diet smile I bet Chewy would love to meet her.He is stuck with a bunch of little dogs on the street,nobody in the neighborhood has a large dog he can play with frown

Let me know if you reach her goal weight and ill look at new pics if you post any. smile
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 5:40pm PST 
Most breeds have "oversized" varieties, usually products of backyard breeders looking to make a buck. From what I;ve seen, the most popular breeds that they make "oversized versions" of are Labradors, Goldens, Pit Bulls, GSDs, and Rotties. Especially pit bulls, where you see 100lb+ dogs in a breed that's only supposed to be 30-60lbs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3