GO!

Border Collie/Great Pyrenees cross?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:42pm PST 
Here in Wyoming that's exactly how they come to be! I have a five year old female named Melba. It is really interesting to watch the traits of both breeds show themselves. Melba is a rugged, healthy dog. She likes people and has almost always been good with other dogs. Something seemed to get conflicted in her for a while and she would have sudden, aggressive outbursts toward our elderly female Golden. After much worry my wife had the great idea to ask the vet about an anti anxiety medicine. They settled on Paxil. The fix was absolutely immediate. So now Melba gets her Paxil each morning and life is totally peaceful.
I do agree that the cross involves two distinctly different breeds and therefore the outcome is uncertain until the dog matures. They are two strong breeds but Melba is a beautiful, graceful dog and as loving as she can be. This cross would make a crazy apartment or urban dog, but if you have some room, I think they are great.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 4:13pm PST 
I just went to my local humane society and they have two brothers that are bc/gp mix. Those two dogs were the sweetest,funniest, and fastest dogs i have ever seen. So i think they are a very good mix.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 10:07pm PST 
I am blessed to have a 7 year old BC/GP mix and he is an absolute joy. He is smart, loyal, loving, fun-loving, appropriately protective and funny. I logged on to see if there are others out there like him as I would love another at some point. He was one of 13 pups, born "accidentally" to a GP Mom (of course) and her neighbor BC on a farm in Livermore.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 10:07pm PST 
I am blessed to have a 7 year old BC/GP mix and he is an absolute joy. He is smart, loyal, loving, fun-loving, appropriately protective and funny. I logged on to see if there are others out there like him as I would love another at some point. He was one of 13 pups, born "accidentally" to a GP Mom (of course) and her neighbor BC on a farm in Livermore.
[notify]
Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 8:58am PST 
Our border collie Ferdie was the most beautiful intelligent dog I've ever known. She was also randomly destructive inside and hyperactive around the clock. Add that to a protective breed that can top over 100 poundsshock

Yep, sounds safe to meshockshockshock

I think for a very experienced, physically fit owner with perhaps a working farm or ranch...but for most people that would be too much dog

Edited by author Tue Dec 17, '13 8:59am PST

[notify]
Ace

Ace-Clothing- Calls His Name

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 11:19am PST 
Well, that might be scary because they are both smart. That might not be to good of a mix, but both nice individually. That would be like having a genius mad scientist.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 7:30am PST 
Best dog I've ever had was a Pyr/Border Collie cross...might have been a fluke. Just as disobedient as any Pyr, but smart as a whip and took such good care of us all. My Scipio...His running buddy was a Pyr/Bluetick Hound female. Talk about a funny cross! but she was the fastest thing on four legs, and they kept the coyotes far, far away.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 2:57pm PST 
We have a Border collie Great Pyrenees mix and she is AWESOME! She is very intelligent and active, but also content to veg on the couch. She is very beautiful and unusual. To me she looks like a great big border collie with a unusual face. I would adopt another one in a heartbeat. We love her.
[notify]
SofiaWalter

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 10:40am PST 
I have a brother and sister GP/BC mix. 10 months old. Great dogs with opposite personalities. Sofia is the agile, more energetic one. Walter is more docile and less agile. Both inherited the stubborn gene, and both sensitive to sternness. They are still in the chewing stage. Although we provide them with plenty of chew toys, they still prefer sticks, rocks.
-Question.
Is there a training tip on getting the male to not be so aggressive around his food? We were feeding them together in separate bowls. We now feed them in different places because the male won't let the female eat. They get into a pretty nasty fight. He is even now, getting into it with her away from the empty food bowls. After a tiff, and a little time after, they get back to playing and lounging together.
[notify]
Oakley

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 12:55pm PST 
I have a dog with this cross and he is the best dog ever. AMAZING with all ages of kids. Extremely calm in the house, but loves to play when he is outside. He is Just over a year old. rarley ever barks just a loving family dog.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4