GO!

Border Collie/Great Pyrenees cross?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 2:26pm PST 
Sophie, I think that there is a purpose for cross breeding but millers and bybs have made the idea of a cross bred dog sour in our mouths.

Honestly, I think that if you got the right dogs for a border collie/great pry cross, you could have an all purpose sheep dog.

BTW: I went with my friend on a paper route and saw a great pry with his sheep. I though of Pippin first (RIP) as this dog looked intense... and happy.
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 3:02pm PST 
We had a aussie/rottie mix years ago, oh what a handful.
[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 3:32pm PST 
Holly,

You kind of just made my point. Harley is anything but a handful. He never EVER has been. From Day 1, all he wanted to do was please. He trained as a service dog very easily. Not once did he try to run off. Yet, your experience was obviously very different.

I think that when breeding period, but especially when cross-breeding, its so important to carefully select the parents, and even then there is never any guarantee (but, I doubt there is ever any guarantee with any breeding). With the right mix of characteristics, you have the perfect dog for your needs. But....the wrong mix and watch out!
[notify]

holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 4:08pm PST 
In Bears defense, I was not prepared for his personality traits. It was an impulse adoption on my husbands part, home he came with a 'aussie/shepard' mix that grew to twice the size expected and twice the attitude and cunning. I think if I was older and wiser he would have had an easier life. He was known for regularly finding the ways out of the fence only to herd the paperboy VERY forcefully into a patch of grass, to look so beautiful in the back of the truck like an angel, till the person suckered into that face was within stricking distance and he would go for the throat. He would keep a perimeter around the baby that was only penetrable by my husband and I, no cat, no grandparent no shadows allowed. This was almost 20 years ago and I had no clue of behaviorists or the such.
[notify]
Arawn

Arawn not- Arawen!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 8:14pm PST 
Arawn's half BC and (supposedly, I don't know 100%) half Labrador with some Great Pyrenees. I might be able offer someinsight if in case he is Pyr mixed...
I talked to others who had gotten pups from his litter and they said the pups were a handful. As in hard to train, very hyper, etc. Whereas he's hyper, as a puppy he wasn't too bad, kind of easy to train really. From what I gather the mix, of a guardian dog with herding does causes some conflicts within their instincts...meaning they might have some learning or possible aggression issues.
[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Fri Nov 12, '10 9:46pm PST 

I have to agree with Shayne.....get the best of each breed, and you might get an awesome dog - but then again, get the best of each breed and you might have a dog that's more than you (the general you, no one specific) can handle. Funny how what's valuable & desired in separate breeds, when combined, can be a real disaster.

Edited by author Fri Nov 12, '10 9:47pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 15, '11 12:55pm PST 
Had the fortune to acquire 2 BC/GP mixed breed females at the same time. Best dogs I could ask for. Sister had the GP coloring with the BC body and intelligence. Maggie had the BC coloring with the GP body and temperment. Both were farm dogs needing lots of exercise and space. Sister was more protective with barking at strangers while Maggie rarely barked. Both were good with adults and children but unfriendly with other dogs. Sissy was scarily intelligent and intuitive. Maggie more laid back and not quite as sharp. Warning: Sissy died under anesthesia during a routine operation. Careless vet didn't monitor the GP sensitivity to anesthesia. Best dogs I ever had.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 7:20pm PST 
To Guest, BC's can be terrible awful under anesthesia. I always had my puppy owner tell their vets for follow full greyhound procedure, it works best that way.

That said knowing sheep dog people I've seen a Number of BC crosses with livestock guardians. The one's most noticeable who were a pair of brothers that were a cross of BC and Anatolian. They were spooky, under complete control by their owner but they made the Best estate guardian dogs I have Ever seen. They had all the protective nature of the Anatolian and all the intensity of a border collie.

It isn't a cross I would recommend publically. I know there are people out there that could turn them into an amazing dog but most couldn't... I Personally have wondered about selective cross breeding for service dogs... though perhaps with labs rather than BC's since most of the goldens and labs I see just don't seem to be Large enough to make good mobility dogs. From a genetics standpoint it interests me since most of the livestock guardians have really good hips and elbows as well as being steady, thoughtful and well built... But not enough to ever try it out.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 4:33pm PST 
Don't want to think about this one! Very hairy large dog with a high IQ. Is so big and agile he can get into everything! :o

--des
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '11 2:25am PST 
Hello! I was googling about this dox mix because I have one and wanted to see how big they get when grown up. I have one that is 5 months old and it definately has the BC face, with the GP body build. I absolutly love this dog. His name is Riley, and it actually took him quite a while to be house trained, while my Siberian Husky learned pretty quick! But other than that he is the most playful thing ever! He loves attention, new people, long walks, but gets car sick. He is definately a family dog, and will always love to play with the Huskey. But at 5 months, he is just as big as Koda(husky). But all in all, amazing dog. Perfect family dog(with older kids because of playfulness) and is overall....PERFECT! dog walk If you have gotten one already, I'm sure you have found that out, and if you do, I would love to know how big they get! And how you feel about the dog big grin
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4