GO!

Border Collie/Great Pyrenees cross?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 3:35pm PST 
So, I've seen puppies for sale/adoption of this cross several times. I figure it happens routinely in ranching country- BCs to herd the flock, GPs to guard it, then an oops mating.

What would this mix be like? I'm guessing a little sharper/more focused than the GP, but less than the BC. Pics of adult BC/GPs I googled show them to resemble very hairy BCs, usually white with black head and a few patches, floppy ears. Very pretty dogs.

I think it sounds like a good family dog mix- the two breeds are almost opposites in temperament, and might even out in a cross to make a an intelligent, trainable, but calm and stable dog. More active than a GP, less than a BC. Hopefully.

What do you think? Know any dogs of this mix?
[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 6:34pm PST 
Sounds like a potential for a scary mix. Great Pyrs are extremely intelligent, stubborn, and hard willed. With mixes, you have no way of knowing which traits will get passed, so its possible to get a scaringly intelligent, stubborn, sneaky, hard willed dog.

My Great Pyr could open the front door and fridge before she was 6 mo old. Fairly recently, she figured out how to get to the bag of cotton candy, open it without tearing it, and get herself some cotton candy without making a sound. My Akita mix came and "tattled" on her sister!
[notify]
Pippin-CGC-R- IP Sweet Boy

Gone Far Too- Soon

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 7:12pm PST 
I agree with Sophie!...It's a crap shoot as to how the pups will turn out but not a cross that, at first glance, I'd want to take on...Sounds like it could make for one conflicted dog!eek
[notify]

Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 7:38pm PST 
And I'll agree with the others--sounds SCARY! Potentially. It's interesting how two breeds can just conflict so much when crossed. I've heard Dobe/Aussie or Dobe/BC is a living nightmare.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 7:50pm PST 
I know Dobes and Rotts are not the same thing, but there is a Aussie/Rottie named Harley who posts a lot in the SD forum. Sounds like a wonderful dog.

I agree that you could end up with the worst traits of both too, just wanted to know if anyone had firsthand knowledge of this mix, since it seems common. There is a dogster of this mix, but she doesn't do forums much, maybe I should pm her...
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 8:06pm PST 
That actually sounds like a neat mix to me. I, however, am a huge fan of mutts. I know it goes against responsible breeding and all that but mixed breed dogs are often very awesome companions and pets. If you could get the smarts of a Border Collie with the heart and protectiveness of a Pyrenees with an energy level somewhere in the middle of the two breeds, you could have yourself a very neat dog on your hands. Just my opinion.

The Mutt Lover,

Q
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 9:56pm PST 
If you get all the right traits i think you could end up with a pretty cool dog... but the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

i think the potential for a really crazy dog would be pretty high...

you have the hyper vigilant BCs...with the protective nature of the pyr (protection that can be physical and violent)... could be rather dangerous.

a dog who's trying to negotiate a herding (predatory) drive and a protection drive...

a dog who is pushy/drivey (bc)...but who now has the physical UMPH to be more... demanding and less likely to backdown

oi... this would not be a mix i'd want to get into unless i knew the dog first....because there is a set of traits that could make the dog... potentially dangerous or hard to handle...

do keep in mind these are two of my favorite breeds...but not mixed together...
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 10:18am PST 
Oopsie... just realized that Sophie who responded first is fursister to Harley who I mentioned.

I PM'd Dogster Addie who is a BC/GP mix, maybe she will pop in.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 1:15pm PST 
This is a mix I personally would look into as an adult rather than a puppy so I could really see temperament better. But obviously, very gorgeous and lots of potential!

(Then again, I'm a hopeless optimist who loves dogs...)
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 1:45pm PST 
I was about to laugh because yep....Harley is my brother!

Yes, Aussies and Rotties are completely different dogs, and Harley's mixing wasn't intentional. Honestly, we got lucky with Harley. I say all the time he was a God send. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect combination, but I have no idea how the other dogs in the litter turned out. I know our neighbor at the time that they were born (the litter belonged to my father-in-law) adopted one of the puppies but he jumped the fence and ran off when they were about 18 mo old. The puppies in the litter had completely different looks. There were 2 (or 3) that were blue merles at birth (including Harley), a few that looked like Rotts, and a few that looked like black labs. I'm sure their temperaments were just as varied.

Now, I know I will get sandblasted for this, but I am not against cross breeding with similar breeds when done for a legitimate reason after health and temperament testing is done. You have to be very careful with cross breeding because just as wonderful as dogs who get all the right traits from both breeds can be, dogs who get all the wrong traits can be just as scary.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4