GO!

"One person" dog breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 1:39pm PST 
What breeds of dogs tend to be more of what is described as "one person" dogs? Meaning that they will bond more strongly to one person in the house hold?

I know personality can be a very individual thing, and a dog of any breed or mix could be like this, but just in general what breeds tend more towards that personality?
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 2:07pm PST 
In general I would say the herding and working breeds tend to form the tightest handler bond to the exclusion of others. My personal experience has been my Australian Shepherd and my English/American Bulldog cross considered me the center of their universe.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 2:29pm PST 
Dalmatians are one person velcro dogs. Aloof to all but their owner. Will accept affection from others but do not seek it.
[notify]

Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 3:05pm PST 
thinking Akitas are very well-known to be one person dogs, as well. Be forewarned-most one-person breed types usually are stong-minded dogs and need solid training to even out the balance.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 3:54pm PST 
I think any of the old Asian spitz-type breeds fall under this category. Like Dahlia said, the Akita, as well as the Chow Chow, Shiba Inu, Kai, and Jindo dogs.
[notify]
Ace

ball..what- ball??

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 4:14pm PST 
Ace, Saphira,Roxy and Lilly are really well bonded with me, to the point they don't really listen to anyone but me. Gunner is my husbands dog all the way. I will call him and he'll look at me and run to my husband LOL. All our other dogs are pretty much family dogs, they will listen to anyone in the family, will walk with them ect.
So in my household rat terrier, australian shepherd, great pyrenees and boston terrier are 1 person dogs
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 4:43pm PST 
Great Pyrenees and Akita come to my mind!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 5:05pm PST 
The Skye Terrier is known for being very one person orientated, fiercely loyal to their handler and indifferent to everyone else around them. Heard of Greyfriars Bobby? wink I've actually *shock horror* been taking more of an interest in them lately because of this very reason.

Scottish Terriers are also quite one person type of dogs. But if you mean handler focused dogs in regards to training rather then just aloof temperament to strangers then like Shane said, most herding breeds are up there for that reason. Sighthounds can be aloof with strangers, they don't actively seek out attention from people other then their immediate family.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 5:10pm PST 
Bernese Mountain dogs, Greater Swiss, Entlebucher.
Chow Chow, German Shepherd,
Pug

Snickers.
(te he)
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 5:23pm PST 
Definitely the Asian breeds, like Akitas and Spitz type dogs. Chow Chows, Dalmatians, and Great Pyrenes.

I'm kinda surprised no one's said Doberman Pinscher yet big grin Unless I missed it. But Dobes do tend to stick with one person.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9