GO!

Turkman Alabai Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 2:43pm PST 
That, and they do guard against things like wolves and bears. So it's kind of like preemptive dew-claw removal in some working dogs.

By standard (CO and Central Asian Ovcharkas) can have any type of ear, cropped or uncropped. When cropped to the pictures Ginger referenced (blunt, straight cut, looks like it has no ears), it's called a 'shepherd's crop'.

Edited by author Mon Aug 9, '10 2:46pm PST

[notify]
Jin

I'm going with- you, right?

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 3:50pm PST 
Dahlia, curious, could you post the Russian site?

With LGDs, especially those of Russia and Central Asia (not sure if they do the same with other LGDs with the job to "eliminate" predators elsewhere), fighting may or may not be what we traditionally think of when we think dog-fighting. In Central Asia it's referred to as "wrestling" and it's more like a sparring match than anything else, so that may be what's largely referenced when mentioning using Alabais, CO, and CAOs for fighting.

Here's an excerpt from an article entitled A Review: The Use of Livestock Protection Dogs in Association with Large Carnivores in the Rocky Mountains in the Sheep & Goat Research Journal, Volume 25, 2010 (can be found here and is a very interesting read):

"Ovcharkas (both Central Asian and Caucasian) are used in the dog-fighting ring in current times, including in Central Asia and Russia. While there is much criticism of dog fighting, traditional dog fights in Asia are not like pit bull dog fights in America, which involve severe injury or the death of the dog. Dog fights involving LPDs in their historic context of nomadic people play an entirely different role -- that of testing the best dogs as wolf fighters, and promoting the best dogs for breeding. Dogs with the proper drive, tenacity and strength needed to confront and kill a wolf are selected to pass their genes on to the next generation. Serious injuries are reported to occur rarely since these matches are conducted to observe traits, such as dominance display, agility and physical strength (http://www.centralasianshepherd.us/cao_or_alabai.html, accessed Nov. 1, 2009).

Dogfights, which are called "wrestling" in Central Asia, serve to test a dog's level of canine aggression and have a set of stringent rules developed over centuries (Gasymzade and Azizov 2007). Any dog that is inactive or cries is determined to have lost, and human handlers end the match. Signs of submission end the fight as well. Traditional LPD dogfights or wrestling matches involve the dogs' controlled aggression, not blind fury as seen in pitbull-type fighting. In LPD matches, the fights begin and end quickly, and the result is a determination of the best dogs to fight wolves. One champion fighting dog, a Caucasian Ovcharka dog that lived in Russia in the 1930s, was believed to have killed 100 wolves in his lifetime, an enviable record (Gasymzade and Azizov 2007)."

Just something to think about or keep in mind, though of course there are the unsavory sorts who do use such powerful dogs as these in dog fights more akin to pit-fighting, unfortunately.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 6:03pm PST 
naughty Erghhhh, Jin, I've tried to find the site that mentioned fighting, to see if it was a testing of strength and/or determination, but it eludes me. I'll try to track it down later. (too many cleansing scans of cookies on the old PC of late).
[notify]

Jin

I'm going with- you, right?

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 6:12pm PST 
laugh out loud No worries, it was largely for my own curiosity, I'll admit.
[notify]
CH Adam of- Mountain- Grandeur

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 5:27pm PST 
www.mlalabai.com
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 6:18pm PST 
zombie thread...more than 2 years oldshrug
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:54am PST 
I have 2 Turkmenistan Alabais in Houston Texas and they are the most faithful and protective dogs you can have. The male is 175 lbs and the female is 165 and are 6 and 4 years old respectively and both came from Krasnodar region of Russia. We had 9 puppies 2 years ago and the people that now have these pups constantly talk about what wonderful companions they are. They are wonderful guard dogs and will keep bad guys away just with their intimidation factor which is substantial. The first person to buy a pup was a police lady who wanted it for protection when she retired. They are territorial and will eat anything that comes in the yard but once outside their perimeter they are frisky and friendly. They are loyal to all members of the family and especially good with small children if they have grown up together. I highly recommend Alabais if you want a special dog that will keep you safe. BTW, my 2 dogs eat a 35lb bag of dry food every 14 days that is mixed daily with a half lb of scrap meat. I don't need ADT alarms on my house.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:55am PST 
I have 2 Turkmenistan Alabais in Houston Texas and they are the most faithful and protective dogs you can have. The male is 175 lbs and the female is 165 and are 6 and 4 years old respectively and both came from Krasnodar region of Russia. We had 9 puppies 2 years ago and the people that now have these pups constantly talk about what wonderful companions they are. They are wonderful guard dogs and will keep bad guys away just with their intimidation factor which is substantial. The first person to buy a pup was a police lady who wanted it for protection when she retired. They are territorial and will eat anything that comes in the yard but once outside their perimeter they are frisky and friendly. They are loyal to all members of the family and especially good with small children if they have grown up together. I highly recommend Alabais if you want a special dog that will keep you safe. BTW, my 2 dogs eat a 35lb bag of dry food every 14 days that is mixed daily with a half lb of scrap meat. I don't need ADT alarms on my house.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2