GO!

How rare are Canaan dogs?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sun Nov 1, '09 7:48pm PST 
I forget why I was looking up Canaan dogs, but I received quite a shock when I googled them. I was surprised to find that some look EXACTLY like my roommates dog, whom we always assumed was a husky/white GSD mix. I was going to try and find a pic of Rocket (and I may later) but I don't really need to, this picture looks just like him.

http://www.greatdogsite.com/admin/uploaded_files/1198065318c anaan_dog.jpg

The ONLY difference is his left eye is blue and his right eye is brown with a blue spot on the bottom of the iris. Everything else is the same down to the darker cream on the top and the line of white behind the shoulder. Same build, tail, coat, size, ears, everything. To be honest, I almost wonder if they came from the same litter, since Rocket was gotten from the shelter.

I decided to read up on them, and theres a few reasons that I think it may just be a coincidence. I read that Canaan dogs have problems with strangers and are wary of people and other creatures...and that couldn't be more opposite of Rocket. He's never met a stranger and just naturally assumes anything and everything he meets (cats, dogs, people, kids) is his best friend. They say they bark a lot...but he doesnt, and is more of a "talker," (which would make me lean in the direction of husky mix.) Though, unlike a husky he is extremely biddable while indoors (which could be the GSD.) I know that a breed description is not the end all be all of every particular dog, but I would think a breed with a propensity towards shyness would not have turned out half as friendly as Rocket, considering he has been in and out of the shelter several times since puppyhood. Also, one brown and one blue eye seems to be a dead giveaway of husky in him.

So I was wondering, are they rare and whats the chance of finding a purebred one in a shelter? Does his behavior automatically make it reasonable that he isn't one? It doesn't really matter what he is, he is a gorgeous boy and I love him to death either way, but its interesting to think about. Makes me think about doing that genetic test they can do for dogs.

*edit* I don't know why links always get a weird space in them...it won't let me edit it out.* thinking

Edited by author Sun Nov 1, '09 7:54pm PST

[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Sun Nov 1, '09 7:51pm PST 
They are rare - my ex has the top show dogs in the U.S. - and there aren't that many to show against. smile He had a hard time finding a good breeder to get additional dogs from, so, I'd say the odds of your finding a Canaan dog in the shelter are slim to none. smile
[notify]
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sun Nov 1, '09 11:26pm PST 
Agreed with Cain...it's pretty often that muttley mixes end up looking like some rare exotic purebreed...unfortunately shelters will sometimes list them as such to generate interest I guess, but it's misleading. A girl I know was convinced her northern Canadian shelter mutt was an Ibizan hound...um no. Just a pointy, skinny shepherd mix.
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 9:34pm PST 
We looked at several Canaan Dog sites, rescues etc. The Canaan Dog club of the USA claims they keep close track of all their dogs from whelping box to the grave. So the chance of finding one as a stray or at a shelter is zero. They imply not to bother them with requests as your shelter dog can't be a Cannan Dog, yadda, yadda....

Pepper was 8 weeks when she and her sisters were at the Humane Society as German Shepherd/Border Collie mix. We are sure she is Canaan Dog and are going to have DNA test done at 2 labs to see if we are correct.
http://www.canaandogs.org/
http://www.canaandogrescue.com /~canaando/frequently-asked-questions
[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 10:14pm PST 
This is my ex's dog Ch Mad River Cool Breeze Blowing - one of the winners at Westminster. Does your dog look like this?

Breeze
[notify]
Maia

Do you have- someting I can- chew on?

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 12:10am PST 
I never say it's impossible. But is it unlikely, yes. They are rare, but so are Rhodesian Ridgebacks and I still found a mix at a dog park that had been abandoned there. Who's to say someone didn't have an "oops" litter and just either give the pups away or sell them? There is always a possibility, but that again, doesn't mean it's likely. I would be more convinced if they were true to the behavioral traits of the specific breed (Maia was). Without the behavioral side of it, I wouldn't have been convinced just based on her appearance, but with Maia, she met the breed standard for behavior perfectly. Her apearance is close, but obviously mixed with something else, lab or shepherd is the best geuss.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 6:50am PST 
Actually, it would not surprise me to know that a lot of mixed breeds might resemble Canaan Dogs. Canaan dogs were developed from the pariah dogs of the Middle East, which means that their ancestors were free breeding semi-feral, semi-domesticated dogs of a landrace type.

Whenever you have generations of dogs breeding uncontrolled, nature seems to settle eventually upon the pariah dog type- medium size, slightly curled tail. At a guess, it's what happens when natural selection goes to work and the recessives that define purebreds are buried under other dominants.

IMO, it is hardly surprising that many mixes also are similar to this pariah type.
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 5:25pm PST 
Chandler, that is exactly what I was going to say. People have also asked me if Zack is a Canaan Dog or part Canaan Dog. I highly doubt it - a lot of the herding and livestock guardian breeds are common around here (I even know someone with two Ovcharkas) but I don't know of anyone who has Canaan Dogs. The other breeds I think he might be (GSD, ACD) are much more likely choices. Actually, there's probably at least 4 (or more?) breeds in there.

Although I suppose anything is possible - even finding a Canaan Dog or Canaan Dog mix at a shelter or rescue.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 5:55pm PST 
Very rare - they make Rhodesians look common - and they do not have multi-colored eyes. Or flopped ears.

There will always be dogs who fall outside the standard temperament, but for the most part if your dog is not suspicious of everything and quite loud about it, it's not a Canaan. An acquaintance of mine is one of the few breeders in the country. I have known her dogs since they were 12 weeks old. I still get alarm barks and have to reintroduce myself every time I go to her house. They don't bite, they just alert. And alert and alert and alert... Once they settle down and sniff they're quite loving.

What Chandler said is true. And what the Canaan Dog club says is true as well. The only way there is going to be a Canaan or mix in a shelter, is if it or its parent was imported directly from Israel. I'm thinking of specific very much-less-than reputable breeder here.
[notify]
Mia & Dot

the Sisterhood

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 6:09pm PST 
Guess you learn something new every day. laugh out loud There's a dog at the park that I've always assumed was a Canaan Dog, I'll have to ask them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2