GO!

Borio? Minature Beagle?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 3:37pm PST 
Last week I saw an ad in the paper for a Borio puppy. Does anybody know what this is? The picture looked a little like a Shar pei.

Also, my neighbor just got a new puppy. She said it is a "miniature Beagle." Is this just another name for the smaller (13") Beagles? Or is it something else?

Just curious - I had never heard of either of these before, so I wondered about them.

ETA: Just realized I misspelled the word "miniature" in the thread title. Oh, well. I guess I just need a naughty Or maybe a nap.

Edited by author Mon Jun 29, '09 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Rosco

What you got?- Can I eat it?

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 5:47pm PST 
Did you mean "Borzoi"? Or maybe the add did. But I've never heard of "Borio". (But then again, that's probably not sayin much. lol.)
A miniature beagle is also known as a "pocket beagle". And they are just beagles under 13 in.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 6:00pm PST 
I bet the Borio puppy is a new "Designer breed" confused
[notify]

Rosco

What you got?- Can I eat it?

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 6:41pm PST 
I just looked up "borio designer breed" and it is, in fact, a shar-pei/beagle mix. And they are being sold at pet stores. silenced
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 7:04pm PST 
I am wondering why all of the puppy mills/bybs/pet stores are suddenly breeding all of these Shar-Pei mixes. I've seen three or four different mixes of this breed advertised in the last few months. It just seems like an uncommon breed for this area anyway - I wonder if they are all coming from the same person? confused

I'm thinking they were just trying to get the cute Shar-Pei wrinkles, face, and ears in a smaller size, so they could give it a cute name and sell more. Plus, I know a few people might be turned off by the Shar-Pei breed if they found out they were once bred for fighting - this way the pet store person can say, "No, it's not a Shar-Pei, it's a Borio!" or something else that will make the customer buy it. confused

I hope the ad did not mean "Borzoi." The puppy in the photo clearly had a Shar-Pei face - if the "breeder" thought it was a Borzoi, they were way off. laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:08pm PST 
A Borio as they are being sold as isca Shar pei/Pug & Beagle mix. We actually have one. She is gery sweet but extremely high energy granted shes just a year old today. But basically they are a mutt given a fancy name for wherever reason.
[notify]