GO!

Italian greyhound vs. Whippet vs. Greyhound

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Monty - My Angel- June'09

The big beast :)

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 9:29am PST 
Aww thanks for the post smile

They are sweet dogs from what I know. Thinking that getting an IG AND a greyhound isn't a smart idea due to possible injuries?...

Opinions?
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Sat May 23, '09 11:21am PST 
It is my opinion that greyts and IGs should not be kept together. The potential for injury is just too great. And I have friends whose IGs have died terrible deaths because of it.

There are indeed some people who know the two breeds VERY well can keep greyts and IGs together successfully... however, if you go to such a person's home you will soon see that it is a lot of work. There is a considerable amount of separation of the two, so much so that it is almost like they don't live in the same home. Never in the yard together, no snuggling together, only one gets to sleep in the bed or bedroom, someone is usually in a crate while the other dogs are out etc. Plus it is super easy for there to be an accident that can result in the death of the IG... or at least a really expensive surgery. So I say, just don't do it.
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 12:56pm PST 
ahhh, the three-step-down pointydogs!! My favorites, to be honest cloud 9

I'll start with the big'uns, since I have the most experience with them. Greyhounds as we see them today were developed in England in the late 1700-early 1800s for coursing rabbits. Of course, greyhound-type dogs have been in existence for millenia, but the 'current' coursing grey is just a few centuries old. They are the largest of the three breeds, with average weights between 50-80lbs, but they are healthy compared to many other large breed dogs - most joint issues are related to old track injuries, you don't really see displasia or luxating patellas, anything like that. They are relatively easy keepers, and you can't beat adopting an adult dog that already knows leash/house manners, doesn't bark, doesn't jump... they're perfect, as long as you don't expect to be able to off-lead 'em.

As far as keeping big'uns and little'uns, I've done it successfully (fostering IGs) but we didn't allow playtime in the yard with all the dogs at the same time, nor were they allowed to have free reign together when we were gone. Depending on the individual temperaments of the dogs in question it CAN work, but it won't work for EVERY family.

Whippets were bred down from greyhounds a few centuries ago, and while they retain a lot of physical similarities their temperament is slightly more people-centric (in my experience). I don't know much about the breed's health issues, but they are still a racy, sometimes rowdy dog that loves its people.

IGs are (I believe) the oldest breed of the trio, and they are definitely toy/companion dogs! There are plenty of IG-knowledgeable people who have already shared info on the breed so I'll limit it to that party

Edited by author Tue May 26, '09 12:58pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 1:23pm PST 
thanks for the response smile

I really LOVE the greyhounds...like its an addiction...I love them! One of the techs at the clinic I work at brought his in and I went and sat with him (Deiter) while he ate his dinner (which seemed like A LOT of food...but I have only owner my one Sheltie BOL) and he was so sweet. Burped in my ear after, but I forgave him...such a sweetie!

I really would like a smaller dog like the IG
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 1:30pm PST 
I'm a huge, huge fan of greyhounds, retirees in particular. They are so EASY, so sweet and mellow and just fun companion dogs... plus, there's nothing like watching 'em tear around a ballfield just for the sheer joy of it. They are spectacular beasties, living art deco!

IGs sure are pretty little things, but for me they're just not QUITE right. Having a 'velcro' pup sure sounds fun, and for some people it IS perfect, but make doubly sure you're comfortably never, ever having alone time for the next decade or so, because they ALWAYS want to be with (or on) you. Always.

Whippets are a great mix of the two, size- and temperament-wise. They'll play rough-and-tumble better than the delicate, sensitive IGs but are a much more manageable size way to go
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 2:54pm PST 
I really like the Greyhounds and IGs...Whippets aren't my type...adorable...but thinking more of an IG and/or greyhound smile

My sheltie is crazy attached...he used to cry outside the bathroom but has now realized that I will come out of the bathroom when I am done BOL
He is a rescue and is like my all time shadow...to the point that if I am at work he ignores my mother and waits at the door for me
He has improved though smile
i think I could survive with an dog attached to me like velcro smile
[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 12:52pm PST 
I have both a retired racing Greyhound and an Italian Greyhound (and a Jack Russell Terrier, for what it's worth). Of my three dogs, my greyhound is the least trouble in every possible way (although I love all of them fiercely, this is just the truth).

Our greyhound is extremely gentle, relaxed around strangers and children (you come to value this more after you've had a JRT for a while, believe me). She does love to play in the house sometimes (jumps up on the bed and spins around, etc.), but she is generally calm and well behaved. She loves to go on long walks, but doesn't require a whole lot of exercise. She came to us housebroken, and the only time she had an accident in the house was when she had a bladder infection (so it's not really her fault). She seldom barks. In fact, I've heard her bark maybe three times in the five years we've had her (all three times was when various dogs in the park tried to "hump" her). Seriously, I cannot recommend her breed enough. The downside? It took her a long time (almost a year) before she understood what affection meant. She loves to be petted now, and will lay on the bed with us, but she is not clingy, and when it's night time, she gets off our bed and goes to sleep in her own. This is not true of all of them, however, some are quite velcro-ish. Of all my dogs, this is the breed I would wholeheartedly recommend.

Our IG: you have to love her. She's a bully, really, and the alpha dog in our home. She is spoiled rotten to the core, demands treats by putting her butt in the air and barking at you. Demands to be taken outside under the pretense of having to do her 'business'. Once outside, she does nothing, then comes in and demands a treat for being so good as to make you take her outside. Luckily, we just find this kind of humorous. Unlike a lot of IGs, ours does often go leash free. She is almost 12, however, and has been extremely good about staying right by our side after her mate was stolen when she was about 2. That might have something to do with it, possibly she's afraid of being stolen also. She will curl up on my husband's lap for hours, she is obviously his "baby" (he had her before we met). She sleeps in bed with us, and is a real sweetheart.

The downside, as others have mentioned is IGs are nearly impossibly to housebreak. She's almost 12 and we will probably always have a pee-pee pad down for her. Moreoever, we cannot have carpet in our home, because she will use it as a pee-pee pad. We cannot leave our bathroom door open, or she will use our bathmat for a pee-pee pad. No biggie, i'm not a big fan of carpet anyway, but it is definitely something to keep in mind.

She's a little skittish around strangers, but if they smell like food, she will go right up to them.

Those are my experiences with my greyhound and IG. Hope this is helpful!
[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 12:53pm PST 
One other thing, the IGs have a tendency to break their legs. I just shelled out $4K when my IG jumped off a sofa and landed wrong, breaking her front leg. The funny thing was just the week before it happened, I had been congratulating my husband on how lucky we had been, having an IG for 11 years with no bone breaks!
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 4:51pm PST 
No matter the age, IGS SHOULD NEVER BE OFF LEAD IN AN UNENCLOSED AREA!!!!!!! It is too dangerous, PERIOD. It seriously bothers me that so many people seem to think that this is okay.

And yes, it always seems to be okay for thier one dog because that one dog is "special" for some reason. Your dog is not special. Your dog is a sighthound. Your dog should be on a leash in an unenclosed area. To suggest otherwise, especially in a forum for new dog owners and people unfamiliar with the breed, is highly irresponsible and downright dangerous.

RESPONSIBLE IG OWNERS, BREEDERS, RESCUE AND FANCIERS (INCLUDING THE RECOGNIZED EXPERTS IN OUR BREED) AGREE TO THIS FACT! It's not just me.

It is the cardinal rule of owning a sighthound. If you cannot follow this ONE basic rule, you should NOT own an IG. Get a lab instead. I don't understand why is this so hard for people to understand.
[notify]
Rocket's- Aaerro - SDit

Peeing on all- things linoleum

Barked: Fri Jun 12, '09 12:25pm PST 
I've lived with Whippets and currently I'm slave to a Whippet/IG cross named Aaerro ^.^ . The biggest difference, I've noticed, between my Whippet/IG cross and the purebreds is that Aaerro is HYPER. She's much more active than the purebreds I've lived with, dog sat and raced with. She has no problems bouncing off everything. Sleep on the back of the futon? Sure! Table surf to eat they cats' food? No sweat! I swear Aaerro thinks she's part cat! She WAS potty trained out doors and I had the opposite problem. She didn't want to go inside on the paper >.< . She was 7 months old before she started using the papers reliably.

Whippets tend to be more laid back though, they, too, do suffer from 'The Zoomies' up until they're three years of age. They literally bounce off walls. It's been said because of their terrier background they're more determined and a little more out going than many other sighthound breeds. Aaerro, my cross, is exceptionally timid. I've never seen a dog shrivel up so fast among strangers. Whippets are smart, easily potty trained and although they may be fragile looking, can take a lot of pounding.

I was told that retired racing greyhounds are the slugs out of the three breeds. It takes some poking and prodding to get them moving. They take cr@p that other breeds can't handle and it proved how good natured the breed can be. The down side is that the racing greyhounds sometimes don't recognize other dogs because all they've ever learned to live with, simply by their environment, are other greyhounds.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6