GO!

Italian greyhound vs. Whippet vs. Greyhound

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Monty - My Angel- June'09

The big beast :)

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 1:52pm PST 
THANKS!

It's such a hard decision!

My main worry with the breed is their thin skin and the tendency for getting injuries like cuts and scrapes. As well as the breeds breakable legs.

Those are really my only 2 worries right now.

someone at the vet clinic I work at gave me the link to a greyhound rescue in the Toronto area and if I save up enough money (I am planning to get another dog around Christmas that way I can save up a doggie fund) I might visit them as well as some IG breeders in the area around Christmas.

Anyone have an Whippet breeder reccommendations in the Toronto area?
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 4:22pm PST 
Tyler, sighthounds should NEVER be off lead in an unenclosed area. For more info, please read this story: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/advice/trust.html

Every sighthound breed (including IGs and Whippets) have similar stories to tell. That is why off lead is never a matter of individuality to people in the fancy. It is a breed trait. I would have to say to anyone who is looking into getting a sighthound: if you can't handle the basic tenant of sighthound ownership (NEVER OFF LEAD IN AN UNENCLOSED AREA), you shouldn't own a sighthound.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 6:16pm PST 
Byron, i tend not to stereotype every dog, all dogs are different. And i have known Sighthounds that are perfectly fine off lead in safe areas. But yes, on the whole MOST sighthounds are kept on lead especially the ex-racers.
[notify]

Byron

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 9:18pm PST 
Let me preface this by stating that I own a sighthound who is trained to a higher level than most dogs of any breed will ever obtain. I also own a sighthound that I have successfully called off prey midflight. I have a sighthound who will course a lure and when the lure stops can be called off and back to me to the degree that he will avoid attempts of others the catch him in his quest to follow my recall cue. All of these things add up to a dog with what many would call a reliable recall. HOWEVER:

I do not agree with you. My mentors who have worked with sighthounds for more years than I have been alive, also disagree... as do most people who responsibly breed sighthounds or work with sighthound rescue or work in sighthound breed clubs.

While I agree that every dog is an individual, you cannot ignore centuries of selective breeding that scream "chase chase chase" in the ear of even the most sedate sighthound. It is this instinct that is alive in EVERY sighthound that can kick in without warning. It is this instinct that has sent dogs running off of cliffs in pursuit of birds, jumping out of parking garages after a flying piece of trash, or leaping out of upper story windows after squirrels. This is the same instinct that sends dogs into cars... and trust me... the car always wins.

I have said it once and I will say it again, if someone is interested in obtaining a sighthound and cannot follow the cardinal rule of sighthound ownership (NEVER OFF LEAD IN AN UNENCLOSED AREA), that person should NOT own a sighthound. Yes, all dogs are individuals. But they are still dogs. They are still sighthounds. A responsible owner respects this and sets the dog up for success. Afterall, it only takes one mistake to kill a dog.

Now, I am sorry to pursue this topic so resolutely, but I feel that it would be irresponsible for me not to. I have heard way too much heartache that started with the same sentiments that you stated in your previous post about dogs being individuals. Everyone seems to think that thier dog is the exception to the rule. However, I have been witness to too much heartache to ever believe that to be true.

With all due respect, I find it highly irresponsible to suggest on a public dog forum that is a home to many amateur dog owners/potential owners that it is okay to let a sighthound exercise off lead in an unenclosed area. It is irresponsible to state that this cardinal rule of sighthound ownership (agreed upon by the vast majority of experts in the fancy) can be bent for "certain dogs." Please read the article again. It does not only apply to greyhounds and off the track dogs. It applies to ALL sighthounds! ALL of them.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 12:28pm PST 
But Byron, didn't you read my post correctly because in both posts i stated that it was ok in safe and enclosed areas shrug
[notify]
Byron

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 1:54pm PST 
No, you said "safe areas." What could be considered safe by a non-sighthound owner is VERY different to a responsible sighthound owner. A safe area for a sighthound is an enclosed area (meaning fenced in a manner to contain the dog).

You originally said "A lot of people say you can't ever have sighthounds off lead etc, however each dog is different. " That is not safe advice.

If you read my post, you will see that I have said "never off lead in an unenclosed area." I never said nor do I mean to imply that a sighthound must be on lead 24/7. They can be off lead in enclosed (safely fenced) areas.

I hate to beat this to death, but this is THE most important rule of responsible sighthound ownership (NEVER OFF LEAD IN AN UNENCLOSED AREA). To make myself clear, I am doing this for those people who may drop in and read this post and never enter into the conversation. For that reason, it is VERY important that this rule be as clear as possible. It is not bendable depending on how "good" the individual dog acts and it is for ALL sighthounds (high and low preydrive alike).
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 2:19pm PST 
Well, i guess it's each to there own to be honest shrug I do know Greyhounds that are free off lead and are perfectly fine, would they run if they saw a Rabbit or anything else small and moving? Probably but for the most part, the areas in where dogs are exercised around here ( i'm in the UK ) are safe areas. I have no issues allowing my boy off lead. I still thinks it just depends on the dog, some have higher prey drive then others.

And safe areas, did mean just that. I would never advocate letting any breed of dog off lead in a very public, open, close to roads place. I would have thought it would be safer over there in fact, as you have Dog parks and leash laws.
[notify]
Byron

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 12:46pm PST 
I disagree.

I've stated my opinion. I share that opinion with an overwhelming majority of people in all aspects of the fancy. Enough said.
[notify]
Monty - My Angel- June'09

The big beast :)

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 8:49pm PST 
I wouldn't be taking him off leash. My 11 year old Sheltie who can barely run rarely goes off leash...but obviously he isn't a sight hound hehe smile

So....I am leaning more towards an Italian Greyhound...although I really like the greyhounds as well...but have heard that greyhounds and italian greyhounds together could cause injuries to the Italian...

smile
Keep the breed recommendations and ideas coming smile
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 8:27am PST 
I have a friend with 4 IG's. They are super cute and just he sweetest little things. I agree with the comment of potty training can be difficult as some of hers still aren't 100% potty trained. From what I hve noticed they are supervelcro dogs to the max!

Also they are jumpers. One of hers can easily jump up to the top of my head while I'm stnading up straight and I'm 5'8!

I'd love to have one some day.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6