GO!

frenchtons (boston terrier/french bulldog mix)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  
Samantha

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 7:46am PST 
i'm doing soem research on this hybrid dog b/c i plan on getting one around feb 09. i was just curious is anyone has one and if i can get some info on them. for starters they are hard to find, and i have found someone locally and they said that they will have a litter of 3/4 french and 1/4 boston.....i don't understand how she knows the fractions? are 1/2 of each better than the fractions. please help.
[notify]
Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 8:03am PST 
Ugh. Another designer dog.

First of all, it's a mix, not a 'hybrid', a hybrid is two seperate species mixed together, not two different breeds of dog with a silly name.

Second, please, look in a shelter before you go with a breeder. Because there are probably lots of little dogs in shelters and 99.99% of those designer dog breeders are not responsible. If you absolutely must buy from a breeder make sure all the dogs have been health tested for all occassional problems in the frenchie and boston, like patellas, heart, ect, and all results are good. Oh, and the pup must be sold on a spay/neuter contract, ect.

Third, the 'fractions' are how much of each breed is in one. If 3/4 is frenchie then there is more frenchie, let's say you bred a frenchie to a boston. Then added in more frenchie. That would make it 3/4. What do you mean, 'better'? No dog is 'better' then the other. confused
[notify]
Fling,- NPC♥

Ollie's gal- b&w's rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 8:16am PST 
Have you ever lived with a short faced dog?
I always thought we would love to adopt a Boston or Frenchie some day,then we took care of a friend's Boston for a weekend. I have NEVER heard so much snoringshock Not the dogs for us, but they are both sweet, adorable breeds. If you want one (and I know lots of people ADORE their Bostons and Frenchies) we agree with the poster before us, adopt or rescue one or go to a quality breeder of one breed or the otherway to go
[notify]

Heidi CGC

Play Play Play

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 8:16am PST 
Samantha you are not going to get happy answers on here for a lot of good reasons.

Can I ask you why you want that mix or a designer dog to begin with?

I know a lot of people decide they want a designer dog because of health reasons. Yes you can get a great healthy puppy but you can also get one that has the health problems of both breeds. Like the poster above mentioned most breeders in this market don't health test or breed responsibly. So if you decide you truly want this dog you must be very very careful of the breeder. Most designer breeders are puppy mills or BYBs in it for money.

Many designer dogs are ending up at the shelter so you may find you dream mix there. Just a thought. Also for the amount you will pay for these pups you could get a health tested great bloodline purebred puppy from a reputable breeder.

Again if you really want this pup you have to be very very careful of the breeder. There just aren't any good breeding programs for these mixes.
[notify]
Heidi CGC

Play Play Play

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 8:18am PST 
Fling I was thinking about that. Two short nosed breeds bred together. I can only imagine some of the health problems.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 9:17am PST 
This is just my opinion, but somebody willing to breed a French Bulldog to a Bosten Terrier probably isn't breeding two exceptionally bred healthy specimens of the breed together...

French Bulldogs have significant health related issues. Frenchies can have crippling spinal problems. They can develop hemi-vertebrae which is a deformity of the spine that makes the back bones grow irregularly, pinching the spine, leaving some paralyzed for life even after thousands of dollars in surgery. This is such a problem in the breed and so serious in fact that reputable French Bulldog breeders have begun to start their own spine database for the status of stock's spines. I personally would really worry about the French Bulldog being bred regarding it's status and it's ancestor's status with spines!

There is so many more concerns about this and the individual breeds themselves that I cannot even begin to type.(For instance, both breeds are notoriously extremely difficult to pottytrain! Serious respirtatory problems previously mentioned!)

I would never ever recommend a breeding between two bracycephalic breeds with unknown health backgrounds be done. It also bothers me that this is obviously an inexperienced person planning the whole fiasco. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, a plague of health problems and broken hearted-ness if you want my real opinion.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 12:20pm PST 
That's exactly what I was thinking Zeus. Why purposely put together 2 breeds that have similar health problems (particularly the flat-faced related issues). IMO a "Frenchton breeder" (I use the word 'breeder' very loosely here) does not have the interests of the mix at heart - they have the interest of padding their wallet at heart. Tread very carefully when looking at designer dog breeders.
[notify]
Stella White

I'm the boss- applesauce!

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 10:43am PST 
Good Luck Samantha... If you chose to "buy one of these (designer dogs)" you are going to need it! And you are being scammed! By someone looking to make $$$! I agree with Z, noone with experience would breed a "frenchton" "froston" what ever you want to call it... its simply a mix! I love the French Bulldog breed the way it is! And I love the Boston breed the way it is! I own one of each and would never think of breeding them with even one of there own, rather than together! My advice: Don't do it!

Both dogs have cost us a fortune! My Frenchie in particular who is 10 months! Yea, 10 months has cost me more than I ah bargained for. I've already spent over thousands in vet bills for her. And she came with papers, was health checked and was bred "properly!" Imagine?! They have health issues, as a breed! As do Bostons! And not all of them are the same (although most are, jusy the degrees in which they vary differ..) Also, although they are similair in some aspects, the Boston and Frenchie are quite different. Hence they are DIFFERENT breeds. My Frenchie in quite dominant, and I'm sure other Frenchie owners will agree. But SO is my Boston, although a sweetie. Mixing the two just sounds like a horrible idea. Really, it sounds dumb. Bottom line. I hate to be harsh but why would you knowingly do this?
And yes, Zeus again, nearly IMPOSSIBLE to house train! Stella, my frenchie, still has accidents in the house.... and sometimes RIGHT after we've come in from a 20 minute, 30 minute, HOUR potty break! Fun, right?! Wrong! Stubborn little brat! My Boston is 3 and he is house broken, but has had a few accidents in the house. I'm telling you, it may sound "cute" or like a good mix, but really, I can't advise you (or anyone) doing it! I hear stuff like this all the time and it blows my mind.

Hope this changes your mind.

Edited by author Mon Nov 17, '08 10:56am PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 10:54am PST 
Stella, you're so stinkin' cute! I just love you! winkcloud 9
[notify]
Stella White

I'm the boss- applesauce!

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 11:18am PST 
Love you more Zeus! wink