GO!

Do you have a puppy mill dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Kaluha

Fly Free, Kaluha

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 4:36pm PST 
I wasn't sure where to put this, so a mod suggested this forum (Thanks Jasmine!!).

Since the Oprah show, I have seen many puppy mill threads and find people here are looking for information. I thought that those of us who own PM dogs could post their stories, background and where they are now.

I'll start!

Kaluha came from a Lancaster PA mill. He spent 10 years in a tiny cage producing puppies for the pet trade.

Last March, some rescue friends of mine got a call to pick up a load of dogs by the weekend, or the miller was going to shot them. I was asked if I would take the three poms, two bred out females and Kaluha.

Ginger and Brandy, the females, were a little friendlier and quickly adopted. Kaluha had issues.

He came to us with that dead look in his eyes, the one that says "Do with me what you will, I don't care anymore". He reeked that smell that PM dogs have, one that doesn't wash away, and seems to be embedded in their skins.

His mouth smelled like rotten garbage and the vet said she had never seen worse teeth. He lost most of them and would have lost them all, except the vet was afraid that pulling anymore would shatter his jaw.

He has a heart mummer and is missing a lower eyelid. His conformation is so bad that the vet advised against exercising him.

The worst part was his total fear of humans. He would not eat out of a dish and refused food if anyone was in the room.

You see, millers use food to lure dogs close enough to grab them.

He eventually learned to trust DH, who fell so in love with him that he refused to part with him, so, after about 8 months, I finally gave up and agreed to make Kaluha dog #6.

It took 6 months till he would take food from our hands, but after over a year, he waits and expects his treats with the rest of the dogs.

He can't go up and down steps, so gets carried every time we go outside. If anyone but daddy or mommy is carrying him, he will squirm and try to jump out of their arms.

While playing is a normal part of life for most dogs, Kaluha doesn't play...until last week when, for the first time, he played a 2 minute game of hide and seek with Daddy. It may sound like a small thing, but for Kaluha, it is huge and we celebrated appropriately.

I don't think Kaluha will ever be "normal", but he is ours and we will love him till he has to leave us for the bridge and look forward to being reunited with him, whole and healthy, on the other side.
[notify]
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:05pm PST 
Merlin is my other PM dogs and the reason I do rescue work.

After we lost our lab/shep/dobie mix, Kia, I was looking to add a forth dog to our pack. I came across the Twin Tiers Rescue site and so many of the dogs touched my heart.

I wrote to Sue. Sue is a wonderful person with a heart of gold and a soft spot for hard luck cases. I told her I had 3 younger dogs and was looking to adopt a dog who needed me. I was interested in adopting a senior female, no one dog in particular, just one who needed a home.

Sue had a dog in mind for me, but the woman who inspected our home suggested to Sue that we should have a younger dog because our house was full of energy.

Sue sent me a picture of Merlin (then Sparky, bleh). I really wanted an older female, but DH fell in love.

Then I found out where Merlinn came from.

He is from a mill near the OH border of PA. He was bought as part of a lot for breedeing, but grew too large to breed, so was released to rescue.

merlin was the shyest of the lot and the dog that all the other dogs ganged, so Sue was anxious to find him a home.

He was sick in the car 3 times on the 3 hour trip home. When we got home, he promptly hid behind the couch and stayed there for 3 days unless we forced him out.

He was terrified of the leash and our first few walks were actually carries. He would not cross any surface changes or doorways, behavior I have since learned is typical of PM dogs.

He was also terrified of people and would hide whenever he encountered anything new.

Merlin is now a happy, healthy pupper. He is the first dog to greet visitors and can get a little pushy in his desire for attention.

They say things come to us when we are ready and I guess I was ready to start down a new path when Merlin came my way!
[notify]
Douglas Kekoa

dig, dig, dig,- bark, bark,- bark, dig,

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:24pm PST 
Doug is a puppymill dog. He was also picked up by a rescue organization, because he had too many medical issues that needed attending, and they were going to just put him down. I'm happy they didn't. He certainly has his fair share of medical issues, but we love him none the less.
[notify]

Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:51pm PST 
I don't "own" a puppymill dog but I do rescue and we pull PM dogs all the time and I have fostered SEVERAL of them.
We just made a trip yesterday to pick up a few, we just got 4 on this run.
A 9 year old Maltese, 5yr. old Yorkie and two 9 week old Yorkie puppies that have leg problems.
I do have several stories about my many PM fosters, the "dead" look on their faces, the months it takes for them to come around and act like a sort of normal dog.
The ones we have lost over the years.
It is heartbreaking to watch these little guys, but we have to keep rescuing the ones we can and pray for the ones that are left behind.
[notify]
Miles

I never cause- trouble...

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 6:06pm PST 
Miles is a puppy mill rescue as well. I don't know where he came from exactly, but he was found when he was about 8 months old in Illinois. From what we can gather, he was ditched as a pup because he can be quite rotten. It's obvious he suffered abuse before he got into rescue. He's still nervous around strange animals and people, but getting much better.

His confirmation is what really gives him away as a puppy mill Basset. I've seen enough in my life to recognize one. Miles already has mild hip dysplasia, one front leg curved inward, misshaped shoulder blades, hot spots, and chronic ear infections.

The whole family loves Miles, and I am so glad that we came to own him. HIs personality is amazing, and he's sold me on rescue dogs. There will always be at least one around our house.
[notify]
Lucyy!?!!- =]]

So much cooler- than yerr mom :]

Barked: Fri Apr 18, '08 3:22pm PST 
Wimbley is most likely from one. We weren't the ones to buy him mom's friend bought him for us. We do know that he was in a petstore at one point and sent back due to his ear, has laxuating pattelas, was going to be bred or killed, he wasn;t at his breeder's house when they got him. We were uneducated when buying him
Lucy is from a BYB possibly PM but not likely. We went to the breeder and met her mom. We were uneducated when buying her.
[notify]
Ziggy

Come and get me!

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 3:00pm PST 
My grandma purchased Ziggy from a pet store and they gave her papers. They totally tricked us into thinking that we were getting a "purebred" dog! At the time, my grandma and I weren't really educated of how sneaky pet stores and puppy mills can be. So she bought Ziggy. The next day, I looked up the kennel Ziggy was from and it turns out he was from a puppy mill that was closed down. We were so shocked that they had lied to us and that taught us to never ever by from a pet store again. We are lucky though - Ziggy has had no health problems and has been the sweetest, craziest, lovin' dog you could ever imagine! cloud 9
[notify]
♥- -Chelsea

Up up and away!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 10:52am PST 
Chelsea was bought from this puppy mill. I have complained about this ad to the paper, yet it still has been in the paper every day since 2005.

Golden Retriever, Chocolate Brown Labradors, Maltese, Westhighland puppies, all pure breed, with papers, shots, dewormed chipped, inspected by Vet. DELIVERY POSSIBLE! Call 06029-996120 BREEDER- DE153938820

When I first got to Germany, my husband was going to Iraq again. I wanted a dog to keep me company while he was gone. I did not know my way around the country yet, and I saw the ad in the paper will deliver. I already knew I wanted a westie, and was happy that they would deliver. They told me they had a female, and could deliver her to me the next day. When they showed up with her she had conjunctivitis, was thin, and filthy. She looked older then they said she was. I still think she is 6 months older then what it says on her paperwork. I could not leave Chelsea with the man who I immediatly disliked. I took her home bathed her, fed her, and took her to the vet. She had diarrhea and gas and conjunctivits. The vet gave me worm med, antibiotic eye drops, meds. for gas, and meds for diarrhea. Then I had to go through several diets since Chelsea has food allergies. I was later told that this is not a breeder, but a middle man. He gets the dogs from a pupp mill in Poland cheaply. Brings them to Germany with fake papers then sells them to soldiers for high prices. I have complained until I am blue in the face, and NOTHING has been done about it. When I first joined dogster I recieved a pawmail from someone who used to be in the Army who bought a westie from this same man and his wife-the wife says she does not speak english well, so you end up dealing with the husband who claims not to speak english very well too, so he gets away with not answering your quetions. Sadly, the dog that pawmailed me had a short life. I felt very bad for the owner. I think puppy mills and back yard breeders are scum.

Edited by author Tue Apr 22, '08 10:58am PST

[notify]
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 11:17am PST 
Bisou was a BYB dog. I thought that I did everything right. Found them on the net did a home test met the parents saw the living quarters vet records and papers. I was so excited about my puppy that I didn't relize the papers were ACA and not AKC til several months later. I still visit the website occassionally, and it breaks my heart to see her 2 paps on at least their 2nd litter of the YEAR!! Bis' brother is 11 months and they have him up for stud. Bis is pretty good health wise, and conformation although he has a lazy ear, and I am not sorry that I got him. He is my child. Now his breeders have added aussies to the mix. shock
[notify]
Rex

mommies big boy

Barked: Sat Jan 30, '10 9:16am PST 
my rexy is from a backyard breeder or puppymill,how we got rex my husband is a dogtrainer so were always getting emails to take peoples animals. some lady emailed us from medina ny saying she has a boy and girl german shepherd who she needs to find homes for or she was gonna end up taking the to a shelter,so my husband went there to look at the babies the girl was very timid hiding in the corner but rex the boy one was very frightened and timid he wouldn't of made it at the shelter. he had food agression,very afraid of people,cars,leashes. it took a month to get him out the door on a leash for walks,every time people would come over he would hide underneith our kitchen table til they left.when we first brought him home he stunk sooo bad we had to give him 2 diffrent baths in one day.but i'm very glad to say after 3 months he's finally starting to know what being a puppy is all about he's playing more,he doesn't hide anymore when people come over instead we have to work on his jumping and giving to many kisses to everyone,he's starting to be a good boy nomore food agression for rexy. he was one lucky puppy he only had to be with thoses people for 3 months of his life,so being with us for 3 months he's starting to snap out of it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6