GO!

Food for my Chihuahua

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 11:01pm PST 
I recently found a Chi, literally on my doorstep. My boyfriend and I have decided to keep him if his owners do not come forward. He is a long haired male, who seems to be about 7-8 months according to a neighbor who has about 10 of them. He is fitting in with our other animals, and seems to have adopted us as his family. The only issue we have is we are having a hard time getting him to eat. It seems as though where he was before did not feed him dog food. My boyfriend and I both refuse to give him human food. We picked up some small dog food, science diet brand but he does not want to eat it unless we hand him each kibble. We have given him wet (generic brand), but that doesn't seem to be working. We have mixed them, put an egg in it and all we get is a nibble here and there.

I would think that once he is hungry enough that he will eat whatever we have out for him, but it's going on 3 days and the best we have gotten him to eat is a few dog treats (I know the dog treats may not be helping but we need to get something in him) and some pieces of kibble. He has been munching down on the cat food a bit also.

Are there any recommendations to a brand or type of food we can give him to make him eat some more. He is a bit skinny and we want to put some meat on his bones. Open to any suggestions, Thank you
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 5:32pm PST 
Try Wellness, small breed Puppy food. Extra small kibble for tiny mouths and lots of good stuff in there! The only kibble my Chi pup would eat and it's really good for them!! way to go
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 9:58pm PST 
We were finally able to get him to eat. We put water in with his food and he gobbled it down. I'm sure he needs to adjust to harder food, since it seems as though he has only been feed soft human food. We may give that food a try though, thank you
[notify]

Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 4:27pm PST 
Since he's a foundling, make sure he's got all his shots, AND that you worm him. People do not realize how prevalent things like roundworm can be in pups.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 4:45pm PST 
Yea, we are taking him to the vet tomorrow to get completely checked out. We both never thought we would ever have a Chihuahua but I have to admit that he is a great little dog to have.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:50pm PST 
The adoration of Chihuahua's .......My wee man, now aged 10 years, has been on The Royal Canin Chihuahua (protein 28) dry pebble food, since he was about 10 months. The pebble dry is MADE for their mouths. They have few teeth, and the SIZE is perfect !!! If you GOOGLE Royal Canin Chihuahua protein 28, there is NOT ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT THE BRAND. My wee Perry simply loves it, He is NEVER, EVER SICK !! The Royal Canin also has the HEART ENZYME and JOINT FORMULA Contained.....Chihuahuas are prone to heart disease and weakened joints...My wee man, so the vet says, has a heart like a 5 yr old...He acts like he IS 5, but really 10.....I know he is going to make it to age 15, and I thank ROYAL CANIN.....He is my ALL, and I feel that I am giving him the very best of food, and he has had it practically from day one, well, age 10 months.....If you give the best of foods, that assures FEWER if ANY Vet bills.....I am most happy indeed.....Pats for your new addition !
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:50pm PST 
The adoration of Chihuahua's .......My wee man, now aged 10 years, has been on The Royal Canin Chihuahua (protein 28) dry pebble food, since he was about 10 months. The pebble dry is MADE for their mouths. They have few teeth, and the SIZE is perfect !!! If you GOOGLE Royal Canin Chihuahua protein 28, there is NOT ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT THE BRAND. My wee Perry simply loves it, He is NEVER, EVER SICK !! The Royal Canin also has the HEART ENZYME and JOINT FORMULA Contained.....Chihuahuas are prone to heart disease and weakened joints...My wee man, so the vet says, has a heart like a 5 yr old...He acts like he IS 5, but really 10.....I know he is going to make it to age 15, and I thank ROYAL CANIN.....He is my ALL, and I feel that I am giving him the very best of food, and he has had it practically from day one, well, age 10 months.....If you give the best of foods, that assures FEWER if ANY Vet bills.....I am most happy indeed.....Pats for your new addition !
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 10:03pm PST 
There's a few factors to take in consideration when it comes to feeding a Chihuahua. Visit our site for more information:
http://www.chihuahuapuppytraining.com/category/feeding -a-chihuahua/
[notify]
Selena

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 4:43pm PST 
I bought Wellness, small breed Puppy food. Extra small kibble, and my baby goes and gets her big brothers Pedigree dog food all the time and hardly eats her own, not sure to change her food or not thinking maybe that is what the breeder fed her cry
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 9:11am PST 
We feed Stella & Chewy's freezedried food, exclusively. Both of our Chi's thrive on it. Their favorite is the lamb.
[notify]