GO!

My ears refuse to stand up!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Oliver

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 7:21pm PST 
thanks everyone for the kind responses smile I guess my ears are kinda cute laugh out loud
[notify]
Gigabite

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 6:46am PST 
My ears were floppy when my parents first got me at 6 weeks old. Then they decided they were not feeding me enough, and sure enough, when I had all the food I could handle, my ears stood up.... for a couple days. It seems like when I over eat.. they stand up. I'm almost 3 months old now, and really hope they stay standing.
[notify]
Opal

I am an Original- Brindle- Chihuahua!!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 12:13am PST 
I know this sounds funky,... but if you have a long haired Chi step 1 trim hair first. I tried this on my Chi baby because I was jealous and impatient that all my siblings ears were already up(pety I know - but oh well) Take your puppy hold her with her belly up. Her ears will naturally look "perky". Take a make-up brush or a paint brush and some reg Elmer's glue and gently brush glue on and blow dry. The glue will dry thin, not bother them too much and encourage the ears to stand until the cartiledge firms up. NOTE - DO NOT pull OFF glue- wash off gently with warm water.
[notify]

Bambi

Barked: Wed Jan 7, '09 8:00pm PST 
I have found that Chi's ears usually stand up completely by the time they are done teething. The calcium needed for their teething and bone growth is first used for that purpose, then it goes to the ears for strength in that area. I wouldn't glue my chi's ears. Just be patient and give your puppy time. His/her ears will stand up when it is time.puppy
[notify]
Paris

Spoiled and- Lovin' it!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 4:28pm PST 
You could try putting cottage cheese on your dog's food to see if it helps to strengthen the ear cartilage. Cottage cheese is high in calcium, therefore it could help to strengthen the weak ear cartilage. I know this sounds kinda funny, but a lot of breeders swear by it. I, personally, have not tried it beacuse Paris never had a problem with her ears standing up. Its worth a try. Either way, floppy or straight ears, you are absolutely adorable!
[notify]
tiki

I was born to be- loved.

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 8:10pm PST 
you know I am now a year old and my ears still won't go up, some days one ear will stand up, go figure. I am gonna try the cottage cheese, it can't hurt. if not mommy says I'm cute with my ears down.cheer
[notify]
Lola

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 9:45am PST 
I just turned 7 months a few days ago and my ears have always stood up until 3 weeks ago. My mom says I look so different with my floppy ears, but she loves and snuggles me like she always has. She hopes they stand back up, but I know that even if they don't she will love me anyway.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 4:09pm PST 
It's not just the cartilage. sometimes it's the jaw muscles too, and the teeth. doggie ears sometimes flop when they don't have all of their teeth. Ears are supported by tiny muscles so it's not all cartilage. Head trauma, larger than usual molera, and long time in a small cage at the breeders will also do it. Taggert has one fully buttoned over most of the time, but all the girls love him to pieces. They thinks it makes him look dashing! He still makes it stand up when he is excited though. Also you will need more than calcium, you will need a keratin suppliment.

If it really bugs you, there are little mesh things that can be implanted in the ear to make them stand right. There are temp too. But over all if you are not showing your dog, It's not really a big deal. they're loveable anyway.

Edited by author Wed Sep 5, '12 4:12pm PST

[notify]
Doozer

Here I come!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 2:33pm PST 
The only time my ears stand up is when I'm eating peanut butter and my head is upside down in the dish!laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4