GO!

My ears refuse to stand up!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Oliver

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 9:29pm PST 
I am going to be one year old next month, and my ears still haven't stood up. I am a long haired chihuahua, so mummy recently trimmed my ears a little to lessen weight on them. She says I'm cute the way I am... But I want perky ears!

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Cocoa Bean

Call me Stripe

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 11:41pm PST 
Geez Iam not 100% sure. Cocoa had very straight ears when she was a puppy and playing with Brenda my other dog she bent one ear. She must have been 4 months old. I put a piece of tape around the tip of the ear, almost shaping the ear back to the old form. I didnt move the tape for about 3 days (of course checking it was ok and keeping it clean and dry) and then I removed it to place a new one for another period of time until the tip came back up. Her ears are very perky now.

Maybe someone who breeds Chihuahuas can help us with thios a lot better.

Either way, he looks super cute with the ears as they are now. My Brenda has a cute case of droopy ears too.
[notify]
Molly

Love Mommy\\\'s- Lap

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 12:41pm PST 
Some of us - our ears just tip. Mine were up when I was little, then they tipped and stayed that way. Some breeders do tape the ears to help them stand up, but I believe it needs to be done when they are younger. Not real sure of that though. I kind of think it adds character to have tipped ears! dancing
[notify]

Haleigh,- somewhere- out there

Tiny Red Apple- Head

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 12:54pm PST 
Long coat Chihuahuas are more prone to "lazy ears" because of the extra weight from their fluff. Chihuahua ears stand when they are young puppies but often flop during the teething stage. Usually, if they stood once, they'll stand again. Since Oliver is a year old and his ears haven't stood, they probably won't ever.

Who cares? He just as cute!
[notify]
Larry the- Dude

the Dudster

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 3:09pm PST 
i am unique. mostly one ear tips but sometimes they are both up and sometimes they are both down. my house mate Miss B is a short hair and her ears are like cast in concrete straight up and i think she might faint if one tipped!
I have to say, I think long hairs have weaker ears
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 9:30pm PST 
Thank you for all of your replies. I guess everywhere I go, everyone does make a huge fuss over me... oh well I guess. I think if Mum put tape on my ears, it wouldn't last too long. Or I would just whine a little & Daddy would take it right off wink
[notify]
Riley

Always finds- trouble

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 5:41pm PST 
I am a short hair Chi and at about 4 or 5 months my ears stood straight up! That's lasted for about a month. I'm going to be a year old next week. Yay! But my ears are completely flat. If you look at my pictures they look straight up but that's because I'm laying down. The only time they stick up is when I'm listening to a noise, otherwise, they're flat and floppy but mommy says she loves them that way so she's happy. I'm not sure about long haired Chi's and what the difference would be but I always thought mine were supposed to always stay up but they never did
[notify]
"PEPSI" - *CD*CD*CGC*R- N*RA*RE

I am- Your- Shadow

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 12:58pm PST 
My ears are down too, never really stood up, but my mom and dad are glad they never stood up because they say it gives"character". I am asked alot what breed I am because I am a little robust and my ears are down. I don't care how other people look at me, cuz mom and dad say I am beautiful. Thats good enough for me.
[notify]
Molly

Love Mommy\\\'s- Lap

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 4:05pm PST 
Pepsi, you are adorable! one look at your cute little face and we knew you were a chi! dancing
[notify]
Lucy

chicken feet- must die!

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:07pm PST 
My ears flop too...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4