GO!

Aggressive on walks

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Monkey

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 7:27am PST 
Haley is aggressive when I walk her on our block and we encounter dogs and even people walking. I can take her out to the store, vet, friends/families houses and she does not react this way. Does she think she owns our block? How can I cure this - it's embarrassing!! Ecs because she really is sweet but her barking and lunging tells a different story - I say "sorry" alot on our walks wink Any suggestions?
[notify]
Hazel Louise

Therapy Dog- Greatness!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:05am PST 
If you haven't already, I would enroll her in a good training class or at least consult a good dog trainer. Ask around....people you know with well behaved dogs or call your local dog training club for referrals and advice.
[notify]
Rizzle

rizzle dizzle

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:50am PST 
my dog seems to do the same , of lead he is ok with other dogs, or even scared of other dogs and goes quiet and shy , but on lead he barks and jumps until i stop walking get him attention , say no and then let him look again , when he looks if he dog bark i give him a treat , if he does bark i do the same again until he is calm ... it hasn't cured him as of yet but time and patients should work ... keep at it !! smile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 1:46am PST 
I live in Okinawa Japan and just rescued a King Charles. Charlee is aggressive acting when walking. She even lunges at things lying on the ground. I'm afraid she is going to cause another dog to attack her or my little Maltese. Also she sheds like crazy. Any suggestions on either or both would be greatly appreciated...
[notify]
Mr. Peabody

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 1:47pm PST 
Dogs are more on defense on a lead. I recommend nuetering first. Then a dog obedience club in your area, look into their training classes. I also highly recommend dog parks for socialization.

Best of luck to you!
Kristen
[notify]
Mr. Peabody

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 1:51pm PST 
RE: Okinawa dog....Has she just had a litter? That would explain both problems. I would do a full medical workup...dogs can be aggressive when they are in pain or something is off balance. If shes had a litter, her hormones could be out of balance, which also causes their hair to fall out in clumps. Grain free salmon dog food really helps the coat and will help, but you may have adopted her right when it was shedding season for her.
[notify]