GO!

Puppy Willfulness? Stopping during walks!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Hayley Jane

Born on- Halloween,- Nickname PUNKS

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 11:41pm PST 
I have a darling 4 1/2 month old Cavalier, Hayley Jane, who exhibits a very strange behavior, of every time I take her out for a walk, there is at least five or six times she will stop short, sit down and just look at me. As if to say, "I don't feel like walking", or "What the heck are we doing?" or something like that...If I lightly and happily say her name, sometimes she will come, or I might give her a treat, and then she'll come, but it's pretty persistent and pretty bothersome and sometimes I just (gently) pull her along until she starts walking again (we have a harness, so hopefully this is not hurting her). Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? Could it be that she is actually tired or doesn't want to walk? (this would be a FIRST among dogs that I've known). She did break her leg 2 months ago, but has been out of the cast now for almost six weeks, is not limping at all, NEVEr shows pain in that leg, and runs like crazy inside with the ball, and when she 'gets going' on a walk, everything seems to be fine. It's just so odd with the sitting down...she'll mostly do this at first, but also when we are quite a long way along with the walk. So I'm just baffled and wondering if this happens to any other Cavalier owners...Makes me feel like why invest all this time in walking her if she doesn't even want to?! Advice please! Thanks!!
[notify]
Lexus

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 1:16pm PST 
Well first she is 4 1/2 months old - and is recovering from a broken leg - why not go easy on her for a few more months. Perhaps it is painful for her- did you think of that? Dogs remember things that hurt them - so go easy - have shorter walks and think of your dog more - of what you can do for her to get over this.

She looks to you for love and protection..
[notify]
Zoe

did anyone say- "wanna a- cookie"?

Barked: Tue Jun 30, '09 6:23pm PST 
Zoe popped her knee caps out and needed to rest for a month, no walks or running..which was really hard since she is so active. She had muscle tenderness also. When we went for walks after the vet gave us the go ahead..she didn't go far and needed to rest. Try short distances at first, go about 5 houses down then back home. Try this once a day for the first few days then gradually each day after increase the distance.

If she sits and doesn't want to go any further, take her home. She may require you to carry her. Muscle tenderness and bones that have had trauma take time to get better. Also the muscle was set in a cast for a while and may not have the strength as it did prior...just take your ques from your pup...after a few months she should be walking longer distances and enjoying herself dog
[notify]

Henry

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 1:43pm PST 
I'd ask the vet, but if she's running around in the house, it's probably not physical. Henry decided about a month ago that he was afraid of sewer covers in the street and would NOT walk across them. I moved his collar up higher on his neck and tightened it a little so that it wouldn't slip and I had more contact, and he snapped out of his fear. However, he's a year and a half, so I'm not sure if the same would work for puppies. I'd consult a dog trainer (that's what I did) and see if they can help. Each dog is different, and a trainer or behaviorist is likely to spot signals your pup is giving that maybe you don't see. Good luck! I know it's frustrating!
[notify]
Maddie

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 1:47pm PST 
I take Maddie up to the school yard by my house every day and let her run off leash. I will throw a ball or toy and she'll run to it and then just sit and look at me. I swear sometimes I think I'm getting more running in than she does. She cracks me up...she just stops and sits down. I'm not sure if she's tired or just bored with the game or me.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 3:56pm PST 
We regularly "dogsit" two mature CKC Spaniels. Both are intentionally spoiled by their "housemates" although generally agreeable, intelligent, and, of course, "loving." Both, in their own ways, are quite independent and curious while walking. They just simply have considerable interest in things like open garage doors, birds, and, perhaps, something to chase. Both are fearless and, while off leash, have "charged" rather large "prey." Stopping to "observe" seems normal and, actually, rather interesting.
[notify]
Monkey

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:11am PST 
My Cavalier does the same thing - she's like "ok, done". And we go home. I've decided if she isn't into taking a walk, and she doesn't mind walking home. It's tougher in rain frown I have to carry her.
[notify]
Baxter

My Little- Gentleman

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 10:35am PST 
Baxter likes to stop abruptly or start to whimper and stare at me near the end of the walk. It's his way of saying "we're done here, mom!" Sometimes he wants to be carried but he's not THAT spoiled
[notify]