GO!

Aggressive at age two

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 7:06pm PST 
I recently adopted a Cataholua from a rescue at 12 weeks. He's now 10 months and the rescue said they're sure he's a purebred. We adore him and are trying to become well informed about the breed. We've followed all the suggestions to keep him well socialized and exercised, but we're beginning to get concerned over all the information out there about the breed that says they become very territorial and aggressive as they turn two. Is this always the case??? Any suggestions on things folks have done to prevent this from happening. He's as friendly as can be with our cat, children/adults he meets and other than learning to play more gently at the dog park, he's doing great.
[notify]
Cloe

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 8:43pm PST 
I adopted a Catahoula puppy from Louisiana after after Katrina. Same as you I went on line trying to learn about this wonderful baby we had adopted and saw alot of what you are taking about with warnings of aggression. What we have found is that she is not really aggressive as much as she is assertive and can be pushy and charming to get something she really wants. They are very smart and loving if you treat them with love and respect I find she will try to do what I ask. She is very sensitive and gets her feelings hurt easily. She needs to be with us as much as possible, not left outside or left home alone day after day. You need to let them know you are in charge but do it in a loving way much as you would a young child. Keeping them social is a good thing as they tend to be very protective of their family. Great watch dogs. I think a lote of what we hear that seams scary may be because those people who truly love this breed don't want to see it come up North here and see it ruined by inbreeding to get the pretty colors etc and create the kind of problems that breeding for looks and ribbon winners can cause in pedigree dogs, hip dysplasia etc. Hope this helps but this is just my opinion.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 3:35pm PST 
Thank you so much for your comments about my concerns. They seem right on target and helpful as we try to figure out how best to meet Boone's needs. Ours, too, came up on a truck from the South and should never have ended up in a high kill shelter. He's a sweetie, and just needs us to learn how to be the pack leader. Thanks again.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 1:46pm PST 
Hi .I have had catahoulas for 10 years now and have not found them to be aggessive only protective of their home and family . If pushed by strangers and or strays they will assert their authority, but will not hurt their family be it human or animal.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 1:47pm PST 
Hi .I have had catahoulas for 10 years now and have not found them to be aggessive only protective of their home and family . If pushed by strangers and or strays they will assert their authority, but will not hurt their family be it human or animal.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 12:31pm PST 
I am experiencing similar issues with my 1-year old Catahoula. I began the topic called Territorial Aggression, as that is definitely the root of my girl's aggressiveness. I understand that she is being protective and that is not necessarily a bad thing, however, in my situation, she is becoming protective of my friend's yard, and my friend is uncomfortable with what that could mean for her neighbors and other friends. If anyone has any suggestions on how to tone down this type of aggression, please take a look at my other post for more details. I'm desperate for suggestions! Thanks!
[notify]