GO!

Catahoula Leopard Pit??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Isabelle

Izzy-F-Baby.- Don't forget the- F.

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 2:56pm PST 
hello everyone. this is my opening voyage on Dogster, so i'll make it a good one. first of all my name is Paula and last August i bought my boyfriend a "pitbull" for his birthday. That's Isabelle. she was the only one in her that looks the way she does, the rest were solid/near solid colors. I resently just join a forum for pitbulls online and someone told me that the red merle pattern looked like a catahoula; well at the time i had never heard of a catahoula leopard dog . now that i've done some research i've found out what a wonderful breed they are. there she is to the left... let me know what you all think!
has anyone else ever heard of something so rare just popping up in a litter of puppies out of no where?? i think she's truely spectacular!!!
[notify]
Fish Box

crazy little- bundle of joy

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 6:38pm PST 
What a pretty girl! She does have a Catahoula-esque marking pattern; however, here in Baltimore, home of a thousand pitts, I have also seen purebred merle pitts of that coloration. Perhaps she is a unique combination of her ancestors?
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 5:50pm PST 
Actually, I think, blue/red merle is a color that was recently bred into pit bulls. I'm not sure if the UKC or the ADBA accepts it or not; but, it started appearing recently because people have become obsessed with dogs of the merle color. I'm pretty sure catahoula leopard dog is one of the breeds used to breed merle pit bulls. So, that might be why the merle patterns on merle pit bulls resemble that of a catahoula. I'm not sure how long merle pit bulls have been being bred. So, I'm not exactly sure if they'd be considered "pure bred" yet or not. smile I'd have to read up on it...
[notify]

Getty

FATTY MC FAT FAT

Barked: Sat Jul 11, '09 3:13pm PST 
Actually, no the merle in any pit isnt allowed they are disqualified because its not int hier breed, it aparently is popping up everywhere but somehwere along the line they're mixed. Unfortunatley. I love the merle pattern adn I love pits what a gorgeous dog you have! and funny my name is Isabella haha.
[notify]
Pepper Ann

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 10:59am PST 
I know the post was old but i have a similar situation. I just got this 13 weel old pup from a rescue. The rest of her litter-mates were all one color. She was the only "dappled" one. She doesnt have the typical merle blue eyes but she sure has the oddest markings Ive ever seen on a pit in my life.blue dog
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 1:24pm PST 
I think merle pits began popping up as hog hunters who use Catahoulas as chase dogs often had one pittie as a "catch" dog in their packs. Dogs being dogs... mixing happened.

I don't like the mix. I like pitties, I LOVE catahoulas... but I think mixing their mind-sets would make for a few pretty unstable dogs. Their behaviors and brains are so different...

It would be wonderful to have the "people loving" and "aims to please" attitude in a Catahoula... but I'm afraid of getting the "dislikes strangers" and "dog aggression" mix.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:52am PST 
I have a catahoula pit mix, his name is sidaro, hes 5 years old. Sid is the most loving boy, the biggest baby ever, i believe the mix breeds do quite well, sid is not agreassive in any way, i believe sid to be the perfect boy, i would definitely get another
[notify]
Moose

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 12:49am PST 
Hello fellow dogsters! I'm having the same issue with my pup. I also adopted him from the animal shelter. The mom was a blue pit, she had two puppies in someone's shed. And The vet told me to look up the Catahoula leopard dog! I have and I believe he' s definately a mix betwwen the two. What's your opionion? He is such a good dog!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 12:09am PST 
I have adopted Catahoula pit mix from the local SPCA and he is just the sweetest boy. The one thing that we did notice is that he has a high prey drive and has shown some tendency to try and herd. My husband and I haven't had any aggression issues with him if anything our pointer mix encourages him to rough house (they both have soft mouths which is such a gift with him). Honestly aside from his eyes he is distinctly Catahoula build and traits and wouldn't trade him for the world!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 9:03am PST 
I have a catahoula/pit mix and he's the best dog I have ever had. He is a wonderful addition to our family. I couldn't ask for a better dog. He's a over sized baby lol. He's our lap dog. He loves his family and loves every bit of attention he gets from us and gives a lot to us especially to the children. They make excellent family dogs
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2