GO!

Wondering if Foxy is CD or American Indian Dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Foxy Lady

Barked: Sat Jul 11, '09 9:17am PST 
I have heard that they are one in the same breed? Or that CD is descended from AI dogs? Anyone know?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Thu Jul 30, '09 8:24am PST 
I am trying to figure out the main breed of our puppy and I keep coming up with the Carolina dog. The picture you posted of your dog, Foxy, is laying the same way our dog Josie lays on the ground. The legs are to the side and the arms too. It is like a bearskin rug. I wonder if they have more of the same traits?
[notify]
'Augie' the- Carolina Dog

Born To Run

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 11:13pm PST 
I have been researching these cd's for 9 years now, and the only real discerning trait is the flexable back bone. If you are really into finding out, start with National Geographic news site.
[notify]

Dogen

Barked: Sun Oct 4, '09 11:01am PST 
Can you elaborate on "flexible backbone"? I can't find any references to that in all the CD literature. Thanks.
[notify]
Decker

Barked: Sun Oct 4, '09 5:27pm PST 
Both AI dogs and Carolina Dogs are basically breeds created from pariah/mixed dog populations. There is very little evidence to connect either breed with the aboriginal dogs kept in North America prior to European conquest and settlement. Any dog fitting the typical "long-term pariah morphotype" could be considered either AI or CD, but only dogs from registered litters of either breed are technically "purebred".
[notify]
Joy

Happy Girl

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 8:02am PST 
I have read that skeletal remains found in Native American burial sites are very close to those of CDs. I can totally picture Joy interrupting a lacrosse game or playfully biting at a native’s loin cloth! LOL
[notify]