GO!

Hm... Now I'm not sure

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sabina

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 4:57pm PST 
(I actually posted a similar topic under the basenji breed board)

As some of you may already know, Sabina is a German Shepherd X Carolina Dog mix (at least that's what was concluded); however, after recently stumbling across a picture of a supposed Shepherd X Basenji, I thought to myself that it looked a heck of a lot like my dog. I know there isn't a true way of finding out a dog's breed makeup (even DNA tests aren't 100% accurate, nor do they recognize certain 'more feral' breeds like the CD) and pictures can also look different than the actual animal, but I was wondering if anyone thinks my Sabina is a Basenji Mix or if you think she's truly a Carolina Dog mix...

Her Characteristics:
- "fish-hook" tail
- short, semi-coarse coat (coarseness due to the GSD?)
- top layer of coat is somewhat water resistant
- loves water
- uses paws a lot - very handsy and mouthy
- strong prey drive
- slight forehead wrinkles
- Doesn't have a strong "dog smell" to her
- very sight orientated
- about 56lbs

Pics of the supposed GSD X Basenji mix:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/rgibbons33/Baroo071.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/rgibbons33/sheba.jpg

I mean, I'm not even sure if the people who own those dogs are 100% sure what mix they are (they look CDish to me), but then again, I'm not 100% sure about mine either, lol...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Edited by author Mon Mar 30, '09 5:02pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

Barked: Sat Apr 4, '09 6:27am PST 
Best guess, these are also Carolina Dogs.
Unless the owners know the origins, it's not uncommon for people to guess Basenji and GS.
[notify]
Bayou

I am the Queen

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 1:06pm PST 
Sabina looks a lot like Bayou and acts.. We are not sure she is a CD but when she came from Hurricane KAtrina she had a mate and I tried to figure out what type of dog she was and the closest was a CD. The SPCA said red LAb mixed. If you think about it CD will have charecteristics of other dogs. They are one of the original dogs.

Her sense of smell if very good but I think her eye sight is not the best.
[notify]