GO!

Carolina Dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bo Duke

Stanker

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 11:19pm PST 
I'm thinking maybe my dog, Bo Duke, is a Carolina dog. He fits well to the breed descriptions, except that he has drop ears. I read on the ARBA web site that drop ears are acceptable but severely penalized.
Do they typically have hind dew claws? Bo has them, but I couldn't find anything specifically saying whether or not Carolina dogs have them or not. I live in North Carolina, and he was a stray found a few hours away from here. Of course, there's always the chance that he's PART carolina dog. smile
[notify]
GiGi

Sugar Belle with- a nice dash of- spice

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 12:05pm PST 
Bo's entire body structure, except the ears, sure looks Carolina Dog to me! GiGi doesn't have the rear dew claws but she's a mixed package herself.
[notify]
Sabina

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 11:04am PST 
Well, from what I've read, Carolina Dogs are technically a cross between wild North American Dingos and Sight Hounds. There are many sight hound breeds that have dropped or tipped ears, so it's very well that he might have inherited that gene for his ears...

I have to say that he really looks like a CD to me also.

(As for the rear dew claws, Sabina does not have them either...but she is a CD X German Shepherd mix..)
[notify]

Gryffin

Sir Licks-A-Lot

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 6:22pm PST 
I'm wondering the same thing about my Gryffin. He seems to fit the physical and personality descriptions perfectly, save for his dropped ears and spitz-fashioned tail. He even came to us from South Carolina. He and his siblings were born wild. You wouldn't know it to see him now, though! laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Jan 16, '09 6:23pm PST

[notify]
Baylee

So cute...but oh- so evil- (sometimes)

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 11:05am PST 
Well all the dogs I see here look similar to my dog so I'm guessing my assumption that she was a Carolina dog is correct. She is such a sweet dog to us her family but unlike everything I have read about this breed, Baylee has fear aggression. Guess it has something to do with her past. She was a year old when we rescued her. We love her so she is a work in progress.
[notify]
Gracie

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 8:06am PST 
Bo looks alot like Gracie. She also has the dropped ears that make her look a little like a lab but she sure has all the other characteristics of a CD.
[notify]