GO!

What makes a Carolina Dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Angus

Where's Maggie?

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '07 10:25am PST 
Hi guys,
Do you think there are more Carolina Dogs than people are aware of? A lot of pariah breeds look very similar. Like everybody's best guess is that I'm a basenji/border collie mix because of looking so much like a site hound with floppy ears. My tail is very long & always up & curves on the end like a cat's I have strips of fur that are a lighter colored shade of my fur that go from the tops of my front legs to nearly the middle of my back & then stop. It kinda looks like where a harness would ride. I have a big chest & tiny waist with a lean, muscular build (Goodness, I sound like I'm advertising for a singles ad. Sorry)).
Anyhow, there are probably lots of other shelter/rescue kids like me, whose parents & grand parents have been out there breeding with all kinds of dogs for goodness knows how long. I've heard that eventually, if that is allowed to go on long enough, the pups will become pariah.
What do you think?
Angus
[notify]
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '07 12:16pm PST 
Another way of putting that, is that if humans aren't selectively breeding dogs for specific traits, with indiscriminant breeding the more extreme traits will drop out and in as few as a couple of generations (depending on the original breeds involved) you'll get a dog that's sort of an average of every dog: a medium-sized, medium-build, medium coat, medium color (usually some shade of tan with white markings) dog -- I believe these dogs usually have prick ears (all other canid species have prick ears, so the folded ear is probably a human-selected trait) and a slightly curled tail, as well. That's basically the description of a "proto-dog"/ "pariah" dog. Kelpie is one, too, although I happen to think she's a particularly fine example. BOL!

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '07 12:18pm PST

[notify]
Decker

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 12:00pm PST 
Carolina Dogs are typical pariah morphotypic dogs of mixed ancestry. There is very little evidence (genetic or otherwise) to connect them with the ancient aboriginal dogs of the SE US. The original testing performed in the late '90s ( I was working with Dr. Brisbin and others at the time) was, at best, inconclusive--showing that some Carolina Dogs tested could be grouped with other primitive dog breeds/types. But so can Chows, Huskies, German Shepherds and other domestic breeds that probably went into several strains of registered "purebred" Carolina dog bloodlines. All these breeds have been, at one time or other, extremely popular, with many of each breed most likely discarded or turned loose when they proved to be too much to handle. These strays (those who survived) would then be free to mix into the general stray/pariah/feral dog population of remote, rural areas.I know firsthand of registered Carolina Dogs with long coats and blue eyes--obvious evidence of possible recent husky/chow influence.

Carolina Dogs are basically populations of dogs of European (domestic) descent who have, over successive generations, and through the process of natural selection, reverted back to a primitive behavioral/morphological/ecologicaI phenotype. These dogs would be physically similar, or possibly identical to the aboriginal dogs present prior to European settlement (though not genetically related), due to both being created through the pressures of natural selection. The Carolina Dog would represent domestication in reverse. This would be a situation where a completely domesticated animal would have fled to the wilds/semiwilds of the rural SE US to evolve as a completely new type (breed) free of direct human intervention and/or supervision. Those domestic physical and behavioral traits not suited for survival in the wild would have been selected against and removed from the gene pool. This would represent a reemergence of the "original dog type" which first emerged over 12,000 years ago. Such pariah types exist all over the world and are by no means unique. Technically, a "Carolina Dog" would be a dog born from UKC/ARBA registered parents--a pedigreed dog or one allowed into the breeding program by Dr. Brisbin or his associates. In other words, the Carolina Dog "breed" was created from mixed pariah dog stock taken from the rural SE US and turned into a registered breed--just like the Canaan Dog, the Telomian, the Basenji, the Santal Hound, etc. in other parts of the world.
[notify]