GO!

Anxiety problems in a corgie

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Pepper

Little buddy

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 10:54am PST 
I was wondering if other Corgie owners have problems with their dog having anxiety and behavior problems in their dogs..
[notify]
Visions- Dream- Believer

Think big

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '07 11:58am PST 
We have some issues with one of our pembrokes, she is kind of nervous at times.
[notify]
Lulu, CGC,- HIC, HT, PT,- JHD

Girl Power!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 10:11am PST 
Hi ya Roxie!!!!

Anxiety problems, no. Other behavioral things.... like barking.... yes!!!

A good friend had issues with her dog and feaar agression. She consulted a highly recommended behaviorist and worked thru the problem.

I suspect within another year, I may actually consult with a behaviorts. If it is very serious in your mind, that might be a good way to go.

You could ask your Vet for a referral to a good behaviorist.
[notify]

Lord Wesley

Be happy and- play now

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 7:17am PST 
Anxiety problems no, but our dog wants to protects all our pets kitty ha.
He is very friendly, needs to walk a lot and likes all kind of attendtion ha. He doesn't like the collar eek, ihe was born with it, all his brothers and sisters don't like that....but when he walks free, he listen very goodsnoopy. Really a big difference!way to go

Wesley
(from the netherlands, my english isn't perfect....
wishes
[notify]
Shandi

SHANDI--OUTTA MY- WAY!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 3:50pm PST 
We believe Shandi is part corgi....and she does have anxiety problems. Also scares easily.

I am new here and can't wait to find out more about the breed.dog
[notify]
Regis

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 4:12pm PST 
Can you be more specific? And it's corgi. No e in corgi.
[notify]
Bobo

The Stranger- Must Die

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 9:53pm PST 
We have 4 Cardigan Welsh Corgis in our family and we've learned that Corgis are highly alert and instantly respond to any "comings" or "goings." They are known to be terrific watchdogs. Any sound from outside that indicates somebody might be approaching a door or window will set them off barking and running around until the "threat" is gone. It's just how they are. You don't need a doorbell when you have Corgis.

Corgis are also your built-in Homeland Security guards. They are suspicious of strangers and will eye them carefully until they get to know them. Of course, once they get to know somebody they are friends for life.
[notify]
Betty

Throw it, now!

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 3:06pm PST 
Betty's only anxious about sudden, sharp noises. That can be fireworks or thunder.. or me slapping a mosquito on my leg. Otherwise, she's not at all nervous or anxious.
[notify]
Mogwai

Grr!

Barked: Wed Oct 8, '08 1:28pm PST 
Mogwai is part Corgi -- does that count? She has major thunderstorm anxiety issues, but that's really the only time. I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone else had Corgis with storm issues?

As people mentioned above, she is a GREAT watch dog. She can hear things that I never hear. She also has this amazing ability to see through the blinds while they are completely closed. She found a place on the back of the sofa where she can see through at an angle somehow, and she gets such a kick out of barking at everyone that passes by. Very strange!
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:32pm PST 
Molly is a high anxiety Corgi/Heeler mix and honestly it is not uncommon at all for Corgi breeds to be high anxiety. Her alertness is definitely high as well but she is definitely a high anxiety dog. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep working with your dog to encourage listening to what you're saying and if the behavioral issues become too drastic then maybe try a trainer? smile
[notify]