GO!

new to forum

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:38am PST 
New to Dogster and need some info. I have an opportunity to get a Bull Masstiff and a Chocolate lab mix puppy. (Bullmasador) Both parents are "papered" and due to a midnight romance the owner of the lab is now in possession of some good looking puppies. I have a choice of a solid black male (very small white patch on bottom lip and chest) or a brindle female. They are 7 weeks old and are VERY good looking. The male has a Masstiff head, size (big for a young puppy) and huge feet. The female has the head, size, big feet, black mask and a beautiful brindle color. I'm leaning toward the female but not sure I want the problems that will come later. I have always had dogs but this will be my 1st mastiff even though it will be a mix. Is anyone familar with the mix of puppy and able to offer me any advice?

Nela
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:00am PST 
Well, I didn't get a response to my 1st post so I'll try again. The Mastiff / Chocolate Lab mix puppy I was supposed to get has gone "belly up". The person I was to get the puppy from must have fell of the face of the earth as he will not answer his phone nor answer my e-mails. So, I have found another Bull Mastiff and will get her this weekend. Now I need some information. This puppy is right at 1 yr old, is a female and just finished her 1st heat cycle. She is CKC registered and all the paperwork will come with her. The people who have her say they just do not have time to spend with her as they have 4 small childern, 1 a new born, and want her to go to a good home. Now here is my questions:

1. Since this dog ia almost 1 year old will there be any bonding issues with us?

2. This dog started out as a house dog and had the required training. After the last baby was born she was put outside and not allowed inside for any length of time for the last few months. Will it be difficult to retrain this dog?

3. She knew several commands - sit - stay - down - laydown - etc., that hasn't been used recently. Will these commands come back to her or will I have to begin her training process from the beginning?

4. Since she is a CKC registered female Bull Mastiff I am unsure as to having her spayed. I'm not sure if want to go the puppy route or not but by the same token I don't want to deal with her heat cycles, either. If I decide to have her spayed what would be the best age to have this done?

Looking forward to getting a Mastiff and, hopefully, this will be a good one. She is very friendly, is gentle with small children but since she is young she tends to be a little clumsy, gets along well with other pets, does not appear to be aggressive in any way. She looks to be well built and weighs right at 100 pounds. Looks like she will be BIG when she reaches her adult size. This will be my 1st Mastiff so I am not as familar with this breed as I am with others. Any advice will be apprecieated.

Nela
[notify]