GO!

Once Passive Bullmastiff Showing Aggression After Dog Park Attack

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 7:48am PST 
I have a 2 year-old female bullmastiff (Mina) who weighs 66 pounds (she was the runt). She has always been VERY passive and well-behaved and responds well to simple commands. She always did well at the dog park – even with the more dominant dogs – until a few weeks ago when she was attacked by a german shepherd while minding her own business at the dog park. He walked up to her, she stopped, he sniffed and then started growling before flipping her on her back and going for her throat, she managed to get away and ran for her life straight to me. He caught up to her and went for her throat again until I could pry them apart. Long story short, not until the shepherd had bitten my hand and arm did the owner think to come over and intervene (and tell me my passive dog shouldn’t be at the dog park – what?!). It was incredibly traumatic for both of us and, needless to say, we have not and will not be going back to the dog park.

I thought Mina had escaped unscathed but I am now seeing her growing more and more aggressive toward other dogs – both on the other side of our fence (we live on the neighborhood walking path) and while out on walks. She walks well on a Gentle Leader but last night lunged at a passing dog and started this horrible howling sound as I was dragging her away. She’s starting to scare people as they walk by our yard with their dogs and is now raising her hackles and barking aggressively instead of just wagging her tail like she used to. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t let her out until I see there is no one coming or going on the path…

I’m not sure what to do about this newfound aggressiveness. A quick Google search tells me that this ‘reactive aggression’ is common in once passive dogs who have been attacked but I haven’t found any clear advice on how to get things back to normal. Has this happened to anyone else?

We have a remote collar which uses sound or vibration but have yet to use it. Could that help? I want my sweet dog back! Help!
frown
[notify]