GO!

Learning about the breed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Shay

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 2:29am PST 
Hi everyone! I have wanted a bullmastiff for years now. (I still may have to wait for a while longer) I just wanted to start doing my research, and I figured asking people that deal with the breed everyday would be the best form of learning.

I currently have a female shih tzu and a cat and my son is 18 mo. old. I have a fenced yard (however it is only 4 ft. tall). I thought that I wanted a female but have heard that I should get a male because my current dog is a female... is this always true even if I got a bullmastiff as a pup. Would you recommend that I wait until my son is older? I would actually LOVE to rescue and am in no particular rush, however the safety of my son is #1 and I am a little leery of such a big dog if I don't know their background (not that I would ever leave him with the dog unattended either way). I hope this is making sense, I look forward to chatting with everyone and gaining new insight into this breed.

Edited by author Mon Apr 2, '12 2:30am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun May 13, '12 9:22pm PST 
I have a 10 week old male bullmastiff so im no expert butwill let u know my expefience and opinion. Firstly id reccomend a puppy instead of adopting a full grown dog (nothing wrong with adopting a dog I just dont think it would be the right breed to adopt for reasons u mentiond). My dog was the largest in the litter and when I got him he was slightly food aggressive towards the mini american eskimo we have so that had to be corrected. I have a 4 yr old nephew that lives with me at the moment and any aggression is something that can't be tollerated. He has been great with the 4 yr old and I take turns with my nephew petting the dog while he eats ect. Now with no problems. I got a male because I already have a female dog that I love and wouldn't want to jepordise her safety by getting a female bullmastiff that could do damage to her. I don't know if it would be the same if they were both fixed but its still a risk I wouldn't take. Work with my dog every day, he's very intelligent and a fast learner great with kids and already very loyal.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 13, '12 9:22pm PST 
Double post

Edited by author Sun May 13, '12 9:24pm PST

[notify]

BRUNO

i love my family

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 7:58am PST 
Hi I have a 7 month old 90 lb bullmastiff. I also have three kids 3,6,8,i also have a ten pound pomerainian,and a cat. the dog is great with the kids and the little dog he also likes the cat but the cat is intimadated by his size, they are starting to get along with time but the dog shows do aggression tward any thing in my house.
[notify]