GO!

english bully tips for potty training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

harley

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 10:10am PST 
Hey all you bully owners I am new to owning a bully and could use some tips on potty training my stubborn lil bully. I have trained other dogs before but he is much much more stubborn than the others. He is very good in his crate and never has any accidents in there but when he's out its constant. Should I correct him when he does in the house or not? And I do praise him and give him treats when he goes outside. He likes to ignore me lol. And all other tips and tricks are welcome too. I have got a lot of info from reading brodie bears posts. I usually post as chase my yorkie but I have created harley his own profile now. He is still very young at 2 1/2 months
[notify]
Odin

pet me Im cute!!

Barked: Sun Mar 6, '11 12:38pm PST 
Oh training a bulldog is vary hard they are so bullheaded (if you'll pardon the pun) Here is hoe a professional trainer taught me to potty train my bulldog and it worked really well. whenever he was in the house he was leashed to me everywhre I went while this was anonoying at times he would never go while attatched to me after a cuple weeks of this he stoped going in the house at all and I was able to let him off the leash. Thats what worked for me hope this helps someblue dog
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

I am not dumb, I- am ignoring you.

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 12:25pm PST 
Oh yesss bulldogs ARE stubborn! I wouldn't scold him, bulldogs are also very sensitive. A simple "no" if you catch him in the act, and immediately take him outside. LOTS and lots of praise when he does go outside. And LOTS of opportunities also.
[notify]

harley

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 4:30am PST 
Thank you very helpful. I couldn't scold him anyhow I could be that mean cuz he's such a adorable little ball of wrinkles lol. But i was pretty much freaked out on by a guy on the training forums for even mentioning correction for pottying in the house like I was sayin I was gonna beat my puppy to death or something. I mean there has got to be some sort of correction there to let him know its not a good thing. I mean there is a huge difference between correcting him n saying no and beating him. And he also tried to claim bulldogs are not stubborn n "bullheaded" That guy was off his rocker which is why I came to the breed forum. Also any tips on stoppin his random chewing?
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 7:21pm PST 
HAHAHA! Bulldogs NOT stubborn? That's a good one. big laugh

Bulldogs do not take commands, bulldogs take suggestions.

The only time you can effectively tell him No is if you actually catch him pottying in the house.

You will get much farther by the praise for going outside.

For chewing he HaS to chew so make sure he has appropriate things to chew on.
[notify]
harley

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 6:25am PST 
he has numerous toys to chew on lol. he would just rather chew on the coffee table legs lol. he has kongs, bones, squeaky toys and one of the ropes with a tire on the end of it. hes just a brat lol.
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 8:20am PST 
bitter apple spray works pretty well to keep them form chewing on things they shouldn't. It doesn't last forever though so you have to re-spray it.
[notify]